Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get my photo album pictures indexed by Google and them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get my photo album pictures indexed by Google and them?

The albums on my site have become pretty popular. There are lots of photos being added on a regular basis. I would think that when my site holds more content, it should be good for a little extra exposure on the search engines. However, when I go to Google or Yahoo images and look up my URL using "site:domain.com", I get nothing except for a couple of old avatars and some template images. I've seen the spiders crawling around in my albums before, so this doesn't make sense to me.

What exactly does it take to get the photos in my albums (and even attachments) indexed by the search engines?

They are stored in the database and called as something.php?image=xyzvalue

Not as directly downloadable image.gif - so I think the indexing spiders skip them.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
      They are stored in the database and called as something.php?image=xyzvalue

Not as directly downloadable image.gif - so I think the indexing spiders skip them.
      That's no good.

I'm not looking for a full solution here, but can you think of any way to get around this? I'd hate to have thousands of images on my server without a single one of them getting indexed and sending me traffic.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174445

I'm using that at my site. www.animeappeal.com
        You can either do random or latest pictures from user albums and show them on the index page.
        Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by setishock View Post
          http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174445

I'm using that at my site. www.animeappeal.com
          You can either do random or latest pictures from user albums and show them on the index page.
          Hope that helps.
          Thanks, but I don't think this has anything to do with the thread.

Comment

I'm sorry, I should have expanded on that some.
            A few days after I installed the add on I did a google search with the critieria of animeappeal.com pictures.
            What came back from the search was links to member's album indexs. Click the link and it goes to the album index screen just like you had clicked on show all albums from the user's profile. I didn't see it doing that before I installed the add on. That's why I threw it up there.
            That may not be spot on what you want but that's one way to get attention drawn to your pics.
            I have my albums set to public and viewable by guests.
            I apologize for butting in to your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by setishock View Post
              I'm sorry, I should have expanded on that some.
              A few days after I installed the add on I did a google search with the critieria of animeappeal.com pictures.
              What came back from the search was links to member's album indexs. Click the link and it goes to the album index screen just like you had clicked on show all albums from the user's profile. I didn't see it doing that before I installed the add on. That's why I threw it up there.
              That may not be spot on what you want but that's one way to get attention drawn to your pics.
              I have my albums set to public and viewable by guests.
              I apologize for butting in to your thread.
              No need to apologize, I appreciate the input.

I actually have had that mod installed since the day of its release. It's a great addition, but not exactly in tune with the issue of this thread.

See, looking at the stats for a few non-vB sites I have found a considerable portion of the incoming traffic coming from image searches. I thought that by creating a large image inventory on my own site I could take advantage of that and get some extra traffic. However, since the album images are stored in the database, the images serve no purpose other than looking pretty.

I'm hoping that there's a way around this, but from the number of responses to this thread it seems that everyone sees this as a non-issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X