Importing without Impex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing without Impex

I had a question... If I have 2 vBulletin forums and both are running vB 3.7 Beta 4, technically, couldn't I import users and posts (because that's all I need) from one forum into the other, and merge users via admincp later?

I was thinking about this because I'm in this exact situation.

I know that a direct import of the SQL would overwrite posts and users based on userid and postid.... So I was wondering if there was a query that I could run (or an array) that would append all entries with a number (let's say '10' for example-- making post number 2200 by user id 230 be post number 102200 by user 10230)... If this were possible (given that I don't have a users or post numbers that are these numbers), couldn't I import one forum into the other with no loss of data?

If this is confusing, just let me know.. I'll try to explain another way.

EDIT: I made a test database and brought in some SQL from the forum and found I can do things like this:

UPDATE user SET userid = userid + 100000

This makes every user be their userid plus 100,000... So it seems I can import after all.
    Zacarias
    Last edited by Zacarias; Wed 30 Jan '08, 5:11pm.

That won't work because the user info is scattered among many tables. There is no supported way to do this, at least not until 3.7.0 Gold is released and Impex is updated.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

But it is possible?

Comment

No that way, no. It would require writing a whole new script or rewriting Impex.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Through extensive SQL editing and changing usernames..

I've done it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X