Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General chat: is there really a problem using vB3.7b2 in production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General chat: is there really a problem using vB3.7b2 in production?

Been testing it out for a day now, in a test directory, and seems pretty darn solid. I really wanna use this on my actual site, the members are going to love the new features - I just have to ask: is it that much of a bad idea?

I mean, what does it really entail? For me, the upgrade took maybe 10 minutes - had to change a few tiny little things, but other than that it's all good - if there are updates, it would be easy enough to update for me (being proficient with command line, etc.).

And - how do updates for beta releases come out? What's the process? Are there like patches, or what's the deal?

I figure that if vBulletin.com is using the beta release (which obviously stores a lot of sensitive information, far more sensitive than my site), then it must be stable enough. Perhaps I'm just being naive?

We do not recommend running beta versions on live sites as there is always the possibility of issues due to the nature of beta software.
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

As Kerry-Anne said, its not recommended to use the beta on live sites although I have been adventerous enough to do so in the past.

And - how do updates for beta releases come out? What's the process? Are there like patches, or what's the deal?
      No patches, its a full upgrade to the next beta / RC / gold package. You would upgrade the same way you upgraded to the beta. You may not get a full list of template and file changes as you may have seen in the past with full version updates.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

If you do, backup all your data just in case. I might have to revert to the backup because my site has gone very slow, but that might be a coincidental server issue that I'm not aware of yet.
        Pleased Sheep Films - Independent Filmmakers
        Blackburn Web - an online community for Blackburn in Lancashire (thanks to Mark B for the tips)

Comment

Originally posted by Booth View Post
          If you do, backup all your data just in case. I might have to revert to the backup because my site has gone very slow, but that might be a coincidental server issue that I'm not aware of yet.
          You seem to have gotten your site sorted now - what was the deal?

Comment