• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    syrus.xl

• syrus.xl
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    Yes, you can remove install.php and then move on. this won't decrease security.
    If you feel uncomfortable with the install/ dir you can even remove the whole install dir. but in case of debugging you might need to re-add it later.
    I always delete all files in the install dir apart from the authenticate.php which I found some require in order to install into a vbulletin environment.

Leave a comment:

• Floris

• Floris
    replied
    Yes, you can remove install.php and then move on. this won't decrease security.
    If you feel uncomfortable with the install/ dir you can even remove the whole install dir. but in case of debugging you might need to re-add it later.

Leave a comment:

• Lostpedia

• Lostpedia
    replied
    Originally posted by C.Birch View Post
    I have posted a fix for this in a other topic, check it out here
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...13&postcount=6

baiscy the upgrade does not add all the new css for the profiles.
    This fixed my problem.. I was having the same alignment problems! Thanks a lot!!

Leave a comment:

• Trigr

• Trigr
    replied
    Originally posted by C.Birch View Post
    I have posted a fix for this in a other topic, check it out here
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...13&postcount=6

baiscy the upgrade does not add all the new css for the profiles.

worked perfect for me ...... thank you.

Leave a comment:

• SoberNClean

• SoberNClean
    replied
    It is all up and running thanks

Leave a comment:

• GHOwner

• GHOwner
    replied
    Originally posted by SoberNClean View Post
    Oh btw thanks for being so patient I only started this process 6 months ago and have no clue really about any of this.
    Don't have to be afraid of the process. Just do as it says and if the file is says for you to delete is not there, then well, it isn't there If anything get messed up while installing, it isn't the end of the world for you can always reinstall.

Also, about the profile issue before (not sure if it was answered), you'll need to revert the "Additional CSS" fields of the style.

Leave a comment:

• SoberNClean

• SoberNClean
    replied
    Oh btw thanks for being so patient I only started this process 6 months ago and have no clue really about any of this.

Leave a comment:

• SoberNClean

• SoberNClean
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Simon View Post
    Then the installer process is not complaining about it. Move along.
    Thanks I hope this works I really want this to be a nice forum for my Daughter and Son for X-Mas as for my site I have decided to drop everything in it and start over since I can not figure it out. I am sure that my registered members will hopefully understand if not well.....

Leave a comment:

• Dan Simon

• Dan Simon
    replied
    Originally posted by SoberNClean View Post
    I understand all of that however I am sitting here, with the window open

I am at this step in bold and there is no such file as 'install/upgrade1.php' in the install file at all. I have looked into the upload that I did also and there is no file by that name. there is a upgrade.php but no 'install/upgrade1.php'
    Then the installer process is not complaining about it. Move along.

Leave a comment:

• SoberNClean

• SoberNClean
    replied
    I understand all of that however I am sitting here, with the window open

Installing a new vBulletin 3

First, unzip the vBulletin zip file you downloaded from the members' area to your hard disk and then open the 'upload/includes/' folder. In this you will find config.php.new. You should rename this to config.php and then open it in a text editor.
    The config.php file is commented throughout, so you should be able to work out what values to enter for the variables yourself. When you have finished, save the file and then upload the entire contents of the 'upload/' folder to your web server.
    When this is done, point your browser at http://<span style="color:red">www.e...forums/</span>install/install.php (where www.example.com/forums/ is the URL of your vBulletin) and proceed to click the Next Step buttons until the script asks to fill in some addresses and names for your board.
    After you have done this, the installer will ask you for some details to set you up as the administrator of the new vBulletin. A few more clicks and the script will be finished.
    Before proceeding to the Admin Control Panel, you must delete the 'install/install.php' and 'install/upgrade1.php' files from your webserver. You may then enter the control panel and start working on your new vBulletin!
    The entire installation process should take no more than five minutes.
    I am at this step in bold and there is no such file as 'install/upgrade1.php' in the install file at all. I have looked into the upload that I did also and there is no file by that name. there is a upgrade.php but no 'install/upgrade1.php'

Leave a comment:

• Dan Simon

• Dan Simon
    replied
    upgrade1.php shouldn't need to be removed, but it's located in the same place as install.php. If you're getting that message but have removed the file, then you're removing it from the wrong directory (i.e. a staging directory, personal home directory, etc.)

As for customizing profiles:

1. You need to enable profile styling (off by default). This was explained to you earlier. Go to your admincp -> vbulletin options -> user profile options

2. If you're only seeing partial editing capabilities, look to the permissions for user profile styling under the appropriate usergroup settings (still in the admin cp).

Leave a comment:

• SoberNClean

• SoberNClean
    replied
    OK I did a new install on a new database yesterday at www.thesoberteenagers.com/forum there were was nothing in that database. After the install there still was no way to customize you profile ie usercp. All fields were set. OK but since than I have dumped said database and have installed a new one. I am now and have gotten to the final install. It says to remove install.install and 'install/upgrade1.php' before you proceed. Good enough only one problem unless the 'install/upgrade1.php' is in another file located somewhere other than 'install' none exist. So yeah it is probably me and my makings. So

Where do I locate this 'install/upgrade1.php' I am sitting here and being very patient today. I feel as if I might have had enough coffee now.

Thanks in advanced

Leave a comment:

• Dan Simon

• Dan Simon
    replied
    A fourth thing to ensure:

When you upload the contents of the "upload" directory from the zip file that you downloaded, you need to make sure that it's recursive (that it grabs all subdirectories and they're contents). Some of the errors you're describing sound like only the php files directly beneath the upload directory have been pushed to your server.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Simon

• Dan Simon
    replied
    This is going to sound somewhat harsh, but (SoberNClean) please hear it out:

You need to realize that the problem is on your end. You are either directly doing something wrong or you have something wrong in the setup of your server.

The install and upgrade process doesn't care who you are. It's been working great for a rather large number of us (I upgraded a fairly busy/large forum yesterday with exactly 0 problems). If you're actually experiencing the problems that you're reporting, then there is something very wrong on your server/setup.

The sooner you recognize that the problems are on your end (and not with vBulletin), the sooner you can actually figure out what it is that you are doing wrong. Maybe it's a simple change in how you upload files. Maybe it's something bizarre with your server setup. There's no way of knowing without you first looking into it.

Based on a few of the things that you've mentioned, I'd look at the following:

1. Make sure that when you upload the "upload" directory to your server, you don't include the "upload" directory itself -- you should upload the contents of the directory into the directory you have installed your forums to.

2. If you're running a *-nix system, you will need to check over the file permissions on the directory (and all files in the directory). They need to be readable by the user that your webserver (likely Apache) is running as. If they're not, then you will get a 404 when you try to browse to them.

3. If you're getting errors when trying to view your forums, then you have either uploaded only part of the files necessary, only completed part of the upgrade process, or have permission errors on required files for the forums.

Leave a comment:

• cc8balla

• cc8balla
    replied
    Also, not trying to sound like an ass, but did you even attempt to upgrade on a test site first? or did you just go straight to a live site?

Just wondering, cause this will be a prime example why things need to be on a test site first.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X