Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nick!
    replied
    Very nice, I am going to install each of them...I appreciate the help and the links! :-)
    I will update you and let you know after they are installed if I still have any issues with the damn bots...

- - - Updated - - -

Update: The first 2 I installed, Bad Behavior is up next.

Also, I got an email 1 minute ago:

The following user name with email address was blocked by the Is Bot mod: caulsikareeri - ane.remogomb@gmail.com (2 seconds transpired)

So obviously that mod is making a huge impact on the bots already...I just installed those mods and not even a minute later a bot is already being blocked...lmao...Now hopefully I dont get emails coming in left and right everyday...I just had to re-install my forums, and my old forums probably had 10,000+ bots...So I think these mods might stop them now...Greatly appreciate it, and if you know how I can stop the emails from coming in about bots being blocked that would be cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Bad Behavior Installed, im done with all 3...Thanks again.
    Last edited by nick!; Tue 14th Aug '12, 8:14am.

Leave a comment:

• richpal
    replied
    Originally posted by nick! View Post
    ok thanks, maybe someone else will know what I can do, I think I already looked there, thats how I found captcha at login. If I can fix the problem at registration for these bots, then I dont need a captcha at login, which is kinda annoying having to enter that everytime.
    Until recently I was using vBulletin 3.6.8 and used the following to slow down or stop spammers registering altogether. I don't bother with CAPTCHA on any of my forums.

Is Bot: Registration Time Check
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=135094

NoSpam! - an alternative to CAPTCHA images
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124828

And finally

vB Bad Behavior
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=261492 - Note that on this version you need to edit the version number from 3.8 to 3.6 in order to make it work in 3.6 as shown below:

In the product xml change:
    <dependency dependencytype="vbulletin" minversion="3.7.0" />
    To:
    <dependency dependencytype="vbulletin" minversion="3.6.0" />

These three worked extremely well for me in cutting down or eliminating spam registrations and subsequent forum spam - good luck

Leave a comment:

• nick!
    replied
    ok thanks, maybe someone else will know what I can do, I think I already looked there, thats how I found captcha at login. If I can fix the problem at registration for these bots, then I dont need a captcha at login, which is kinda annoying having to enter that everytime.

Leave a comment:

• Merjawy
    replied
    I haven't seen 3.6 in ages,,, I looked in the latest of vB 3 (3.7.8)... Sorry, if the QA option not available in your version, you might want to check in www.vbulletin.org for any mods

Leave a comment:

• nick!
    replied
    I looked in the panel for that option and its not there. Im using vb 3.6.8 and that feature is not installed...

Leave a comment:

• Merjawy
    replied
    AdminCP > vBulletin Options >> Human Verification Options

Click image for larger version

Name:	QA3-1.png
Views:	1
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	3689876

Leave a comment:

• nick!
    replied
    Ok, cool, so how do I install the Q & A? Is there a plugin for this? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Merjawy
    replied
    I found Q/A works much better than captcha. The more questions, the harder for bots to guess random questions.

Leave a comment:

• nick!
    started a topic Stopping Bots from Registering

Stopping Bots from Registering

I have captcha on at registration and a captcha plugin mod installed when someone tries to login, but I still have lots of bots everyday registering and getting around the captchas. Its getting annoying to have to delete 10-20 new accounts a day, what else can be done to prevent these robots from making fake accounts??? I'm using vb 3.6.8 patch 2 until I can get enough money to purchase the latest vb upgrade.