Largest possible export via web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest possible export via web

I've got a long running forum hosted with a company who have gone under and refuse to answer any calls/emails/texts.

I do not have any command line access to my forum.

The only way I can conceivably get it back is by doing a database dump via the admincp. I'm aware this is a very limited option and I estimate the total size of the forum to be 1gb+.

Is this doable via the admincp or will it just time out?

If it will time out, and I want to move my forum to another host, can I, for example, just export the users and posts tables and them re-import them to another installation of VB?

Currently running VB 3.6.8

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. I'd hate to lose nearly 8 years of a forum.

Also, I should mention, I would probably want to import into VB4 on a new server.

Comment

Your options are limited so thats probably the only way to do it is through AdminCP .. 1gb database size is not really big and you shouldn't have problems
      And remember to backup so often

The other option that might work is ask your new host if they can migrate your site, some hosts do (worth a shot)

PS: I would take more than one copy just to make sure you get everything right
      To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
      My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
      CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
      Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

Comment

Originally posted by Merjawy View Post
        Your options are limited so thats probably the only way to do it is through AdminCP .. 1gb database size is not really big and you shouldn't have problems

The other option that might work is ask your new host if they can migrate your site, some hosts do (worth a shot)

Nice one, thank you.

Comment

install http://www.mysqldumper.net/

it's a piece of cake and can handle big backups

Comment

Originally posted by Merjawy View Post

1gb is HUGE as far as databases are concerend. The biggest issue will be timing out on mysql's end, and hopefully not hitting any large packets of data. While it is possible, a 1gb database might not be easily backuped from the vBulletin admincp, the link for mysqldumper might work considerably better.

Can you not connect via ssh? Is it a cpanel server? if Its cPanel the cPanel database backup is a mysqldump.
            If you have SSH you can dump it manually.

Comment

I don't have any ssh access to the old server.

I seriously overestimated the size of the forum - unzipped it came down at 250mb. I'm having some problems with it on the new host though. What I did was:

1 - Copied the VB files from oldserver to newserver

2 - Exported the database via the admincp

3 - Restored the database on the new server

4 - Updated the config.php on the new server

However, I get a database error all the time. The database username and password are correct, I'm sure of that. I've added different users/passwords and nothing works.

Does the database on the new server need the same username/password as the old one?

I had on the oldserver:

oldserver_databasename
              oldserver_databaseuser
              password

And now I have:

newserver_databasename
              newserver_databaseuser
              password

It should work though, right?

Could it be a problem with the way the VB files were copied? And if so, as I'm running 3.6.8, how can I get those files again to upload them differently?

Comment

No, the details don't need to be the same. What is the specific database error you're getting?
                Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                -
                *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X