Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORUMHOME Default Template [3.6.8]

Hi,

I have upgraded a vB site and am now dealing with merging the template changes. My previous version was 3.7.3 and I just moved to 3.8.1. However, the upgrade before me didn't merge the template changes from 3.6.8 to the 3.7.3. So now I have to figure out what really changed between 3.6.8 and 3.8.1. My current FORUMHOME is completely modified. I spent a couple of hours trying to compare the two and just can't. There is almost no thread of common ground anymore. So many things have been moved around and taken out I can't tell what is a new feature in 3.8.1 or something that was present in 3.6.8 and just not wanted/needed.

Hopefully I haven't lost everyone but after a couple of hours staring at a Merge screen I am not seeing straight. Can someone running 3.6.8 (or close) send me or post the default FORUMHOME template so that I can compare it to the default template on my new version. I have checked out the default version 3.7.3 and it is identical to 3.8.1.

Honestly the changes are pretty substantial since 3.6.8. You can look that the original templates and compare them manually.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      Honestly the changes are pretty substantial since 3.6.8. You can look that the original templates and compare them manually.
      I don't have the original template from 3.6.8. The forum had been previously upgraded from 3.6.8 to 3.7.3 so I only can compare 3.7.3 to 3.8.1.

Comment

No, I meant look at the original 3.8.2 template and compare it to your modified 3.6.8 one. Frankly it would be a lot easier to revert your templates and redo your changes, but that's up to you.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          No, I meant look at the original 3.8.2 template and compare it to your modified 3.6.8 one. Frankly it would be a lot easier to revert your templates and redo your changes, but that's up to you.
          I wish it were that easy. The modified 3.6.8 template is completely different from the standard 3.6.8 template. Sections are moved around or removed. The modified template is about twice the size since there are custom news feeds, chat listings, recent post lists, customized ad locations, in house advertisements, and a few more goodies. Comparing the modified template to the stock template is like comparing apples to oranges. The stock 3.6.8 template compared to the stock 3.8.1 is the apples to apples comparison that I require.

For example: There is a section in the stock 3.8.1 template to show a message to guests if they are not registered. This section is absent in the modified 3.6.8 template. Now in this case I well know that this was in the stock 3.6.8 template as well. Since I know that I can easily deduce that this was simply removed becauase it wasn't needed/wanted by the site owner. In fact all of the visual elements are fairly easy to spot and manage since I know what the site is supposed to look like. What isn't easy to spot are the smaller changes (hooks etc). Since almost every element is either slightly customized or moved around almost every line is different making both the advanced file merging tool that I use and the difference viewer built into vB useless. Both of those tools are great for small changes or blocks of additional code. Once you get into small changes on every line the usefullness breaks down.

Comment

I'm sorry but there is no easy way for you to do this. It's going to require a lot of work.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I am trying to decide between starting from scratch vs. leaving the outdated template in place. I am painfully aware how much work will be required to customize a stock template to our layout. I cannot adequately make that determination without first knowing what changes actually got made. This process will be made much more simple by seeing the two stock templates side by side.

If you are saying that there are no records or old installation packages for 3.6.8, I can simply re-focus my energy elsewhere. There has to be someone somewhere still running this version that would not mind sending me the default template.

Comment

I still have the vBulletin 3.6.8 downloaded files on my HD, although our server is currently running 3.8.2.

If you are a current license holder/Active Member, you could download them yourself, by going to the member area link at the bottom of the Forums and click on the button on the right, under the "License Options" which is a link to "download vBulletin." When the next page opens, buttons at the top to "Download current version 3.8.2." Below that is another button that reads" More download options." If you click that button, you will have a dropdown box with a version number and a down arrow. If you click that down arrow, you can scroll down to, and chose version 3.6.8. You could then install it on a test forum and download the default template.

Over the weekend, probably tomorrow, I could install the 3.6.8 version on my home set-up, which runs in XAMMP. Not really too much trouble to set up a default forum. If you don't want to download it yourself, or your privileges have expired, PM me an email address where I could sent the .xml file for the 3.6.8 default template.

However, you may need to specify which of the 3.6.8 versions you need. there is 3.6.8; 3.6.8 PL1; and 3.6.8 PL2.

Regards,
                Slappy

Comment

You can try leaving the outdated templates in place but I would say there is almost a 100% chance that you will have errors and problems with this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I believe he just wants to compare the 3.6.8 default template with his highly modified 3.6.8 one, so that he will have a better idea what he changed in the "original". I agree that it might not help him that much, but it really is not hard to set up a test 3.6.8 "default" version and take a look-see.

Eventually, he will still have to change his current version, but possible the look at the original will give him a better understanding of what he changed before. And then, again, maybe not.

Regards,
                    Slappy

Comment

Knowing that I can download and install a standard 3.6.8 is most helpful. I don't want to compare the custom 3.6.8 with the stock 3.6.8 because the amount of stuff that I have changed is too great. What I would like to see (and I must just not be explaining this well enough) is to see what jelsoft changed between 3.6.8 and 3.8.1. I know our site has changed a ton of things so I want to remove what we did from the equation. Even if jelsoft change/added many new features between those two versions it will be infinitely easier to spot thier changes if my changes aren't in the picture.

Comment

If you download the 3.6.8 version you want, you may then look in the install directory for a file called vbulletin-style.xml. Open that in a text editor and then search for the template there. I think that is what you want.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Actually, if you install the unmodified 3.6.8 version in a /testvb setup, and then upgrade that "clean" version to 3.8.2, the AdminCP template compare feature for the templates needing "reverting" will highlight all the changes between the "stock" 3.6.8 and the "stock" 3.8.2 versions, without any "clutter" from your own modifications.

Regards,
                          Slappy

Comment

That is certainly what I am after, I just plan to use my own difference utility (Araxis Merge rocks!). But that is exactly what I am after. From what I understand I would need to change *something* in the 3.6.8 because an unmodified template would simply be replaced (as best I understand the sytem) when it gets upgraded. I am in the process of tracking down the site owner so I can get into the member area.

Comment

One slight clarification of my previous post. If you install the 3.6.8 version into a /testbv folder and then upgrade an "unmodified" set of templates with the new 3.8.2 files, it will simply update the templates to the 3.8.2 version without giving you anything to study.

It is only when you have "modified" templates and "upgrade," that it will put up the notice that there are templates which need to be "reverted", meaning that they need to be "reverted" to the "new" standard templates of the upgrade version.

However, you could "export" the templates from the "unmodified" 3.6.8 version and, as you suggested, use a program, such as Araxis, to "compare" the stock with your modified 3.8.6 template.

I'm only attempting to clarify what I previously wrote, so that someone reading this later doesn't think that when they "upgrade" an unmodified version with a newer version, they will still have the "older' version's templates to "compare."

Regards,
                              Slappy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X