Error restoring database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error restoring database

I'm taking a small portion of the content on one forum and using it as seed content for a new forum. Both are vB. My plan is to download a backup of the current forum's db, upload it back to the server, then restore it on top of the empty database that's there now.

The backup db was downloaded via the cPanel interface, uploaded via Cuteftp.

Both installations are v3.6.8pl2 (the new one actually has a brand new license, but I'm installing the older version first, so I can upgrade the db and bring the new site to 3.8.1).

But I'm running into a snag - in trying to restore the db via SSH, I'm getting the following error:

Code:
    ERROR at line 1: Unknown command '\²'.
    I'm trying to open up the db via notepad, but the thing is 250mb, and my PC is having a hard time wrapping it's brain around something that big.

Is there something obvious I may be doing wrong to generate this error?

That's a problem with that backup. Since it was made with cPanel, it may need to be restored with cPanel as well.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks - I was able to get it figured out. But I have a follow-up question -

After getting the database from site1 over to site2, I noticed that some things aren't quite right - I appear as logged out, and when I try to log in to the forum, I get a message thanking me for logging in, but then when I return to the forum, I'm still logged out. Also, when I try to log into the admincp, there appears to be no style formatting for the login page (not a big deal, just providing that info that it might help diagnose), and after entering username and password, again I get the thank you message for logging in, then I'm taken right back to the login screen for the admincp.

I'm sure it has to do with taking a database from one forum and moving it to another (same server, btw), but now I'm not sure how to proceed. Are there settings in the database I can change via phpmyadmin to get this squared away? I can provide site(s) details privately if that helps.

Comment

Here's a partial screen capture of the admincp login page for reference:
        Attached Files

Comment

1. This is probably a cookie domain/path issue. To fix this, upload the tools.php script in the 'do_not_upload' folder of the vB zip file to your Admin CP directory and run it from your browser. Use this to reset the cookie domain and path back to the defaults. And then leave your cookie domain and path at the default settings. There is no reason to change these. If you need to specify a unique cookie, use the cookie prefix setting in config.php instead.

2. The lack of formatting is almost certainly due to not uploading all the vB files. Reuploading the files should fix that.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve -

Looks like tools.php was able to fix the cookie issues, allowing me to log in, and from there I could reset styles and that brought all the admincp styling back.

Looks like we're in business. Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X