Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin SQL database export file - Edit as a text file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin SQL database export file - Edit as a text file?

It appears that I am among those who can use the phpMYAdmin provided by website account's cPanel, to sucessfully export a vBulletin SQL database, using the guidelines provided in the vBulletin manual, and end up with a valid file that can then be used to create a new database on another server, using mysqldump. I've done so several times now, and haven't encountered a single problem.

I have three questions with regard to the creation and use of the exported file(s).

1. It's my understanding that the exported file is a text file. Is it really?

2. I can if fact open the file with an editor named Notepad++. With that editor I found that are 14,600 instances of our old domain name, and used the search/replace function to change them to our new domain name (changing mydomain.com to mydomain.org). But I'm fearful of using the edited file to build a new database. Is there any good reason why I can't or shouldn't?

3. I've thus far created dumps/backups of the vBulletin SQL database using phpMYAdmin version 2.11.9.4 in accordance with the following instructions as provided in the section of the vBulletin manual entitled "Backing Up The Database via phpMyAdmin":

"For purposes of this instruction, I am using phpMYAdmin version 2.5.6-rc1.

Go to phpMyAdmin in your web broswer and select the database you wish to back up by clicking on the name. If you have multiple databases, you will need to select the name from the drop menu.

In the right-hand frame, you will see a row of links. Click [Export]

Now in the right-hand frame you will see three (3) areas. In the first area, called Export you select the table(s) you wish to back up by selecting them from the list. To select multiple tables, hold the Ctrl key and click the table names. To select all table, click the [Select All] link.

In the second area, called SQL Options, make sure you have the following boxes checked:

Structure
    Add 'drop table'
    Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
    Enclose table and field names with backquotes
    Data

In the third area, check Save as file and type a name for the backup in the File name template :.

If your system supports it, you may also choose a compression type. None is selected by default.

Click [Go] and you will be prompted to save the backup on your local computer."

There are other settings available and I'd like to know that I am using the specifically appropriate settings, and that none of the other available settings provided my phpMYAdmin are necessary or appropriate. The following are all of the available settings (and other displayed information):

localhost

Server version 5.0.67-community
    Protocol version: 10
    Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
    User: <username>
    MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
    MySQL connection collation: utf8_unicode_ci
    Create new database: ?
    X No Privileges (In red)

phpMyAdmin - 2.11.9.4
    Used PHP extensions: mysql
    Language: English
    Theme/Style: Original

Export Function Menu:

Export

Select All / Unselect All [ Selected/highlighted ALL ]

(X) SQL

Options

Add custom comment into header (\n splits lines) [ BLANK ]
    ( ) Enclose export in a transaction [ BLANK ]
    ( ) Disable foreign key checks [ BLANK ]
    SQL compatibility mode [ NONE ]

(X) Structure
    (X) Add DROP TABLE / View / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION
    ( ) Add IF NOT EXISTS [ BLANK ]
    ( ) Add AUTO_INCREMENT value [ BLANK ]
    (X) Enclose table and field names with backquotes
    ( ) Add CREATE PROCEDURE / FUNCTION

Add into comments
    ( ) Creation/Update/Check dates [ BLANK ]

(X) Data
    ( ) Complete inserts [ BLANK ]
    ( ) Extended inserts [ BLANK ]
    Maximal length of created query (50000) [50000 is the default provided]
    ( ) Use delayed inserts [ BLANK ]
    ( ) Use ignore inserts [ BLANK]
    ( ) Use hexadecimal for BLOB [ BLANK ]
    Export type: (INSERT) [ INSERT is the default provided ]

(X) Save as file

File name template: ( _DB_ ) [ _DB_ is the default provided ]
    (X) remember template

Compression: (X) None ( ) "zipped" ( ) "gzipped"

Thank you.

It's good that it's working for you, but once your database gets larger, you're going to be better off using the preferred shell method.

1. Yes, the data file is a text file.

2. You would probably find it easier to change those occurrences of old domain to new domain within the database itself running a query such as...
    Code:
    UPDATE 
      pagetext = replace(pagetext,'old_domain', 'new_domain')
    Lats...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X