Trying to upgrade, forum hacked--no access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to upgrade, forum hacked--no access

I'm trying to upgrade from 3.6 to the newest version, but I was hacked last night (that's what I get for procrastinating, I guess.) The hackers took out the whole forum, not just the front page like they did last time. I don't have access to the admin control panel to shut off the forum and begin the upgrade.

I've reported the hacking to my host, but I think they're swamped with similar tickets because it looks like I'm not the only one who got hacked last night--I searched this site for info on the hackers first and many posts came up.

Any suggestions what I should do? I keep getting phone calls and emails from my members--I'm about to unplug the damn phone.

Do you have a backup of the database? If so, restore it, then upgrade immediatly.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi, sorry for the delay in response, I've been out of the house today.

My host has a backup of everything and they said they'd put it up for me, but that was hours ago and the hacked site is still there. Last I heard (about an hour ago) via email is that they're escalating my ticket to the higher-ups. This doesn't sound too good to me. Typically ASO is very good about getting stuff done--a matter of minutes, not hours.

Comment

They're now telling me the database is hacked and not just the files. Does this mean I've lost the entire board? All 8 years of it??!!

Comment

If what they are saying is correct (I'd ask them for more info) then the only other option would be to restore a recent backup of the database.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thank you for the info. No clean back ups exist; looks like I'm at square one. 8 years of work down the tube. *sigh*

Comment

Did you ask them what exactly is wrong with the database? Hosts are not always right about these things.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X