Expert - Maintenance Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expert - Maintenance Questions

(( ok gotta ask all these before I forget them PLEASE answer in laymans terms, in case I don't know what you're talking about in codish or website language ))

Tonight I ran a search in a forum and it did not pick up the thread with the word I searched for.

for example:

I searched for "house"

In a forum with the thread called Watch House Episodes, and it did not pick it up.

So I ran through all of my maintenance except one thing, and I have some questions to go over here.

-----------------------------------------------------

How often should any forum owner run maintenance tasks? (( don't wanna here depends on the site that is not applicable, I want to know if it's a time thing or a number of posts/member thing ))

What does Rebuild Statistics do?
    (( it claims it loses all the forum statistics, yet it's rebuilding them. Is it referring to my admin cp statistics checks on new registrations, new posts, etc, or is it referring to Members and Active Members??? ))

At what time should I run something to delete attachments on my forum?
    (( obviously if members have left for 9 or more months I see no need to keep there images on my board taking up space, how long do I wait to delete them and how do I do it ))

(( I noticed that it said "you might need to reduce this if you have a large forum, we have 600 members, 23 K posts, 3 K threads, and 387 forums. I noticed on Forum Rebuild or whatever I needed to lower the amount and on Post Cache because it kept timing out. )) Am I to assume that if I lower it enough, which I did in either case, that if it passes the first page of processing that it's going to finish them all out? (( which it did after I lowered the number to process ))

What is the deal with Repair/Optimize Tables? What does it do, and how long do I have to wait? (( I hit it to start and it sat there for 5 minutes and did nothing, at 10 minutes I got bored and closed the screen. Please explain what it does and how long I need to wait for it to finish since I have no method to adjust time/variables, etc. ))

Thank you tough q's I know,

LoA

Before we continue, does your forum use FULLTEXT MySQL for search, or the internal vBulletin Search Engine?

(admincp > vb options > search type > should disclose what you use)

Comment

About the maintenance section, here's our documentation.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/maintenance

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
        Before we continue, does your forum use FULLTEXT MySQL for search, or the internal vBulletin Search Engine?

(admincp > vb options > search type > should disclose what you use)
        Your forum is currently using the Fulltext search engine.
        That is what it says.

Originally posted by Floris View Post
        About the maintenance section, here's our documentation.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/maintenance
        I understand about the manual but it answers none of my questions above.

Comment

If it is fulltext, "house" is a word it should find. I do not know why mysql isn't indexing it.

Is the forum set to be indexed for search? (check forum manager)

Comment

What is the deal with Repair/Optimize Tables? What does it do, and how long do I have to wait?
            I'd do this every quarter of the year.

It helps run an optimization on the table, removing any overhead it slowly creates due to adding, updating, removing, replacing data.

Due to overhead build up and other mysql issues, data could become corrupt over time, running a repair once in a while will help fix/prevent this.

Run optimize first,
            Run repair second.
            Then run both at the same time.

That's what I usually do, like, Jan, April, July, October.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X