Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I enable then disable HTML in a forum, will previous HTML still work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I enable then disable HTML in a forum, will previous HTML still work?

As the administrator, I would occasionally like to post raw HTML, to embed a table, video, etc. Since I can't enable HTML posting for a single user or usergroup without installing mods, I'd like to know if the following "trick" would work:

It would be too risky to enable HTML permanently, but in our low-volume forum it would be acceptable if I could enable HTML in one forum, post some HTML, then disable HTML in that forum a few seconds later. (I might even disable posting to that forum by other members for those few seconds, just in case.)

Would a post made that way continue to "work" (output the raw HTML to the web browser) even after HTML was disabled in that forum, or would it "break" and display the HTML as plain text after I change the forum permissions back?

Thanks.

No, it will cease to work.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Too bad. Thanks for the info, however.

I will go to Plan B: to define custom BB codes for the HTML I want to use, even though it will clutter the BB code list and allow others to use those codes. At least that will let me make my posts and prevent free-for-all HTML use.

Comment

I believe there is a hack over at vb.org which allows you to only allow certain usergroups to post using html. That may work out better for you.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thanks, Lynne. I had looked at that hack before posting here, but my first choices was a hack-free solution.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X