templates reverting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• templates reverting

Forgive me if this has been posted, I don't visit here except when I upgrade VB, which is infrequent.

I just upgraded from 3.65 to 3.610. Everything seems to work fine. I get the warning in the Admin CP:

"There are currently 39 customized template(s) that need to be updated or reverted. Some sections of vBulletin may not function if you do not do this!"

It would be a heck of a lot of work to put all the mods back in each template.

If everything works properly is there any need to revert the templates? If so, what would be the reason to revert.?

You will almost certainly need to revert each of those templates and redo your changes. You can see which templates require changing in each of the version announcements from 3.6.6 through 3.6.10 in the Announcements forum.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      You will almost certainly need to revert each of those templates and redo your changes. You can see which templates require changing in each of the version announcements from 3.6.6 through 3.6.10 in the Announcements forum.
      If everything works, what is the reason to revert?

Comment

You will have problems eventually if a template labeled 'requires revert' is not reverted.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

is there a way to do this without having to manually change EVERY template every time there is an upgrade/update???

Comment

No.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I love vBulletin. The software, technical support, etc., is great! But...

...for the upgrade system to not have a way for customized templates to be updated, making it necessary for all customized templates to be reverted then re customized is simply ridiculous.

Seriously, how many vBulletin forums that are currently online do not have customized templates? I'll bet none.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirkus View Post
                Seriously, how many vBulletin forums that are currently online do not have customized templates? I'll bet none.
                I have 2 sites with minimal changes to only the footer and header templates (changing target value for opening links and customised header banner).
                Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                -
                *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Kirkus View Post
                  I'll gladly take that bet. The majority of customer do not modify their templates.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                    I'll gladly take that bet. The majority of customer do not modify their templates.
                    Well, you'd know better than I would. And having thought about my post for a day, I've realized that it was kind of ridiculous.

I have 29 templates that I need to revert and re-customize. But that's my problem. Off the shelf, vBulletin is the best forum software available at any price. And with the addition of Blogs, and the new version 3.7, it's going beyond forum software into full blown community software.

It's my decision to customize the templates on my site. And vBulletin makes it easy to do -- and easy to redo with the template history -- if I choose to customize.

I'd take back my post if I could. But since I can't, I hope an apology will suffice.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X