Favicon can't be seen on browser bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favicon can't be seen on browser bar

I've searched in several similar threads here about this but none of them conclusive enough to deal with my issue.

I've just can't see the regular favicon vb icon on my browser bar.

The original favicon.ico image is located on www.mydomain.com/forum

And according to what I've read around here I should place
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://mydomain.com/forum/favicon.ico">

Right at the botton of the headinclude template, right ?

I did all of this and it's still not working for me.

I testing it on IE and it's working with vbulletin.com perfectly.

Any lights ?

Tks.

vBulletin is xhtml compliant and has the favicon link in the header_include template I believe. It works in all browsers, and if you want to change yours just change the ico file, not the template.

Comment

Hi Floris, I was thinking exactly about what you said but I'm not trying to customize this icon (yet)....on my forum page this icon just doesn't appear like here on vb.com just give me the regular IE one.
      Why could that be ?

Comment

THanks for this...looks good. I can see my favicon on Firefox, no IE. I would assme that after caching several times, it will eventually show up, right?? Or do I need to do something else?

Comment

Bump...still not on ie..

Comment

I've tried also after caching several times but nothing happens on IE, in fact I never had this working.

Comment

Can you see yours in Firefox? I can see mine, that is why I am confused.

Comment

I've tried anything I could whitout messing up and I still can't see tha favicon on my browser, I'm using IE and I can see it on vbulletin.com so I'm sure my IE installation is correct. I've just tried using FF and I can't see it too.

Comment

I added mine at the bottom of the headinclude template and it is visible using Firefox. I understand that it can take 72 hours for ie to pick it up, so each time I go in and mess with it, I am restting the clock.

Comment

MadMax,

I added the line <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://mydomain.com/forum/favicon.ico"> just at bottom of headinclude template. But according to Floris said, as Vb is xhtml compliant so we would't need to include this line to make favicon visible using IE or FF. With or without this line or even waiting 3 days to cache it in my server I just can make it effective to see it.

Comment

Guys, first, use lower case letters in your code so the line won't be XHTML invalid.

HTML Code:
                      <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.mysite.com/forum/favicon.ico" />
                      It's normal for some websites' favicons to be invisible on IE, a simple answer to this would be that because it's IE, a browser which has never been working normally with XHTML standards. Make sure you are with the latest updates tho.

If you don't see your favicon on Firefox, then there is definitely an error you should look into immediately, I don't think 'waiting for 3 days' would solve the issue. Try to do following:

1. Delete favicon.ico under your site ROOT for now if there is any
                      2. Make sure your <head> part is error-free and the URI to your favicon.ico is correctly placed
                      3. Make sure there is a favicon.ico file at the location where you linked from your <head>
                      4. Clear your Firefox history cache, you may leave cookies (important)
                      5. Load your webpage and see if you see the favicon.

Sorry for my English, hope it helps.
                      TT

[ VReplay ] - Advanced in Design

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Brazil View Post
                        MadMax,

I added the line <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://mydomain.com/forum/favicon.ico"> just at bottom of headinclude template. But according to Floris said, as Vb is xhtml compliant so we would't need to include this line to make favicon visible using IE or FF. With or without this line or even waiting 3 days to cache it in my server I just can make it effective to see it.

My favicon in in http://www.blackvertmafia.com/favicon.ico I don't get it. Still nothing in mine in IE. I will keep you psoted on the results after 72 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ttk_2k View Post
                          Guys, first, use lower case letters in your code so the line won't be XHTML invalid.

HTML Code:
                          It's normal for some websites' favicons to be invisible on IE, a simple answer to this would be that because it's IE, a browser which has never been working normally with XHTML standards. Make sure you are with the latest updates tho.

If you don't see your favicon on Firefox, then there is definitely an error you should look into immediately, I don't think 'waiting for 3 days' would solve the issue. Try to do following:

1. Delete favicon.ico under your site ROOT for now if there is any
                          2. Make sure your <head> part is error-free and the URI to your favicon.ico is correctly placed
                          3. Make sure there is a favicon.ico file at the location where you linked from your <head>
                          4. Clear your Firefox history cache, you may leave cookies (important)
                          5. Load your webpage and see if you see the favicon.

Sorry for my English, hope it helps.
                          My icon showed in FireFox immediately. That is why I am waiting on ie, but this is good info. Thanks!

Comment

MadMax1228, internet explorer does not support animated icons. Try upload a non-animated one, that should solve your problem.
                            TT

[ VReplay ] - Advanced in Design

Comment

Are you sure the space is needed after "? See red above....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X