Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Navbar is totally gone please help (no login, no user cp, no search etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Navbar is totally gone please help (no login, no user cp, no search etc.)

The entire top navigation bar is gone -- it does not show anywhere, not in forum home, forums or threads.
    I have no plugin or hacks, the plugin system is disabled, I have re-uploaded all original files, tried uploading the forum skin again, and still the navigation bar does not show.Please help me get the navigation bar back, thank you.
    It's pretty bad because there is no way for members to login to their User Control Panel, you don't see logged status, etc. Currently the only way for members to login is when required to see a protected thread, otherwise nobody would be able to login.

That is most likely a style problem. Try to reproduce it on a default style:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [Add New Style]

Create a new style with no parent. Then click that style's name in the Style Manager to view your forum with that style.

Comment

Thank you Jake for the prompt reply.

I had tried that and did it again after reading your suggestion -- in both cases I got a totally blank page when switching to the newly added style.

Comment

Then another modification is causing this.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve for your reply.I followed your instructions, after re-uploading all non-image files in ASCII mode, no files are reported as not having the expected contents, all are fine.I added the define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true); line to config.php, even though I am using no plugins at all, and they were already globally disabled. The only "product" showing as installed is vBulletin itself. Tried again creating a new style, got the same blank page when I checked the forum. Same with the default style, it shows a blank page. Tried re-uploading a fresh copy of the theme, it made no difference.Only style working is the one that does not show the Top Navbar, it does show the welcome message for non logged in users, but no menu anywhere.

Comment

It got a lot worse, this is really bad now

OK, after the re-uploading of ASCII files no threads are visible in any of the forums!, it only shows the announcement and then the pagination, but no threads are visible in any forum (!)

Comment

This means you have not uploaded the files correctly. Please follow the instructions in post #4 and #2 again.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve for your reply, I did re-upload all non-image files using ASCII method, and the 'suspect file' search reports no problems with any file, they are all fine.

There are no plugins installed, and the extra line in config.php has been added. I tried creating a new style... and still no navbar and no threads are showing.

Comment

Please see this for all the known causes of blank or 'white' pages:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/blank_pages

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I mentioned the blank page because that was the result of your suggestion to create a new theme with no parent style.

My theme does display, but as I mentioned, the NavBar and Forum Threads are not showing anywhere.

Also, I have installed a brand new copy of the forum in the same server and domain (just a different directory and database) and it works fine, so I don't think the technical reasons for blank page are applicable in my case. The new forum worked fine, BUT when I connected this new working installation of the forum to the live site database, again I was missing the Navbar and forum threads. That I guess rules out the idea that the files were wrongly uploaded, since those files where working fine with a brand new database.

I would appreciate any other ideas you may have.

Comment

None of these problems would occur if you follow the instructions in posts #2, 4 and 9. So please start again and explain what the issue is, what you have done, and provide the link to your forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X