Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird RSS display causing problems. Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtg
    replied
    As an update, Just checked the RSS feeders in RC6.7.0 RC2. They still format the same so cant get anything working simply with an update. There must be a way for the vbulletin team to correct this for us so it works and is more compatable

I tried XML direct linking and also standard linking for the feeds. NOTHING seems to fix it.

Tried the thread with HTML enabled and disabled, formatting and not formatting.

Any other ideas anyone? Sorry for another post so soon but I wanted to post the updated information..

Also dont forget how to hide a thread from everyone except the staff

Leave a comment:

• mtg
    replied
    I have the direct XML links but its still not making any difference.

They still process and format the same. I have tried a reformat through my own custom written scripts, and a few others you can get online, but nothings working.

Also how can I create a forum that the RSS can post into but only I can see?? You said you do it for your forum and only staff can see and process it?

Leave a comment:

• ezurick
    replied
    Originally posted by mtg View Post
    Well you have been lucky then, most people find the feeds dont format correctly no matter what. Maybe VBulletin doesnt handle certain feed types well..

Feeds are not simply feeds, theres different formats, XML and RSS variable feeds.

So in fact you seem to have been lucky so far, but the mainstream are not
    I am having the same issues with some of them... washington post, pcworld magazine, cnn news to name a few. youtube favorites feed now works and rolling stone feed works... I think just those two. The rest are garbled with /img. So I am not so lucky.

I also understand that there are different feeds, but I am starting to believe, unless we have access to the .xml file of each feed, we aren't gonna be able to fix this. I wonder if some of the popular RSS Readers are having this issue too?

Leave a comment:

• mtg
    replied
    Well you have been lucky then, most people find the feeds dont format correctly no matter what. Maybe VBulletin doesnt handle certain feed types well..

Feeds are not simply feeds, theres different formats, XML and RSS variable feeds.

So in fact you seem to have been lucky so far, but the mainstream are not

Leave a comment:

• ezurick
    replied
    Ok, so I have created somewhere for everything to post and then manually going in and sorting them out, which although a pain, is still faster than normal manual editting and entry.

The next question is, how can I make this forum so that only I can see it and no one else knows its their?

Thankyou all..

I really have no idea what you people are talking about... the subject is RSS feeds that come in garbled with /img and making the post nearly unreadable. The feed is the feed regardless who can view them. There are some feeds that work perfect fine (ie. Rolling Stones Magazine, NY Times), but some are worse than others. It must be in our templates.

Leave a comment:

• mtg
    replied
    Ok, so I have created somewhere for everything to post and then manually going in and sorting them out, which although a pain, is still faster than normal manual editting and entry.

The next question is, how can I make this forum so that only I can see it and no one else knows its their?

Thankyou all..

Leave a comment:

• mtg
    replied
    well if I give it a try I can always see how it is from that.

Thankyou mate I appreciate it

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    ... but it still seems to be time consuming as well ?
    So far, for us, it's not too bad because of the incoming RSS feeds we get there is actually a pretty small percentage of 'good' content threads that we end up using.

Leave a comment:

• mtg
    replied
    Thats not a bad idea, but it still seems to be time consuming as well ?

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    Originally posted by Xzap View Post
    I finally deleted all of my feeds except one it was such a mess.
    I've resorted to using a private forum that only the site staff have access to so that we can clean up the threads before moving them into the public areas.

Leave a comment:

• Xzap
    replied
    Originally posted by KW802 View Post
    MTG, Ezurick:

Other feeds are causing the same problem as well, not just YouTube.

Here's a thread you may be interested in following (several examples of feeds having the same problem you're describing)....

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265330
    I finally deleted all of my feeds except one it was such a mess.

Thx,

dave

Leave a comment:

• mtg
    replied
    Thankyou for the replies, I know it seems to be a constant battle to get them to show right, but it would save me a heap of time not having to manually to do them.

I see its a commonal issue that all seems the same result. Maybe VBulletin can be made to accomodate this? If everyone is having a commonal issue.

I know my feeds are from FeedBurner, so now owned by google its changed a little.

I have tried reproccessing the RSS offsite and putting my feed in from that, but similar results and not enough time to work on it.

If anyone can fix it please let me know, and thankyou for the link there KW802.

Its not YouTube feeds, its Reuters causing me problems through feedburner.

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    MTG, Ezurick:

Other feeds are causing the same problem as well, not just YouTube.

Here's a thread you may be interested in following (several examples of feeds having the same problem you're describing)....

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265330

Leave a comment:

• ezurick
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
    You can edit the feed to convert HTML to BB code:

Admin CP -> RSS Feeds -> RSS Feed Manager -> [Edit] -> Convert HTML to BB Code.

The RSS Feeds default to say YES to that and all my feeds have the Convert HTML to BB Code to YES.... but I am like the original poster, I get many feeds with a pile of /img and when they are all over, it ruins the actual post to be unreadable...

Also, I am trying to receive the YouTube Favorites RSS Feed and when I get them, the post loses the -more- link and turns whatever is at the bottom to nothing! As it is pulling up, I can see it is a video content... but again, it loses it and is blank... if I go into the post and edit, I see nothing below the written feed... Is there any help with this? Thanks...

Leave a comment:

• mtg
    replied
    I have replied to this twice and no answer show?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X