Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Zones Wrong... Australia!

Hi Guys,

I sent VB an email and got one of those generic "it's not us it's you" types of emails without really looking into anything. So this is the response I have sent.

I think you are going to be in for an interesting suprise then when the rest of Australia wakes up in a few hours. I visited Mambo Forums, Flexifoil Forums, neither of which is hosted on our server and the times are also 1 hour too far ahead. I have also checked all DST times in the control panels of each forum to ensure they are correct. I am now in a SKYPE conversation with two other people, one on the east coast of Australia and the other on the northern tip of Australia. Both are reporting the same issues with both our forum, and forums not hosted by us.

I am sincerly hoping they are right, however I have a number of users logged in to forums we host, and forums not hosted by us and they are all 1 hour ahead. I have then contacted people in the UK not in Australia and they have said their times displayed are correct.

Seems perhaps a DST issue, but the issue is going to be with VB not the users as we are talking multiple users on different VB forums from Australia experiencing this.

Time at the moment is 3:58am here. So in a few hours there may be a few more posts reflecting this.

As I stated previously, I sincerely hope I am wrong. However at this stage unless it is pure coincidence for all 3 of us in Australia in different states and time zones, then there's something wrong.

Regards,

.Joel

I have responded to your ticket with all the info needed to investigate this. Please don't start a support thread after this has already been answered in a ticket. Thank you.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hey guys,

I have the same problem on my forum and even here on vB forum.

If I turn auto DST off I get the correct time which is now 12:16PM but if I turn auto DST on it puts me an hour ahead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by BuRNZau View Post
        Hey guys,

If I turn auto DST off I get the correct time which is now 12:16PM but if I turn auto DST on it puts me an hour ahead.

Hi Mate,

I posted over at Mambo forums, and received the following response. Note they are on a complete different server and provider.
        http://forum.mambo-foundation.org/sh...ad.php?t=10606

Originally posted by Elpie
        This is interesting because the Australian, NZ and default GMT time zones are out by an hour. The server time is correct, so its not the server. I tried changing the default time zone in vB and this has had no effect.

Please let me know what vB support suggested to you Joel. For some reason the support forum is not accepting my login so I cannot add to your thread there.

I am prepared for mess-ups for NZ Daylight Saving times because New Zealand changed its start and end days this year, but GMT is showing an hour ahead today and London DST has not yet started.

UPDATE: This is a server issue. The US has gone into DST today and the host must not have updated the server time settings.
        After checking where our server is located in Calafornia, DST is set to move an hour in about 6 hours. Check with your host and see if they have updated or are planning to update the server's time. If you can shell / ssh into your server just type #date in the terminal and it should bring it up.

Another way to check is (and I thank Steve for this information) to put this php file into your webspace and run it.

Create a new blank text file called timenow.php & paste the following code in
        PHP Code:
        <?php 
        $timenow 
        date("F j, Y H:i:s OT"); 
        echo 
        "$timenow"
        ?>
        Then run it from your web browser and it should display your server's local time.

Regards,

.Joel

Comment

Originally posted by BuRNZau View Post
          Hey guys,

DST is not active now so it should be turned off.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Our time is 1 hour ahead just a couple of hours ago but now its back to normal.
            vBulletin 4.2.5 | PHP 7.0.31 | MariaDB 10.2.17

Comment

Our forum has a bunch of Aussie users and they are all complaining about time problems. Any more information on this?

Comment

From my host.

Dear Customer,
                The times should update either automatically at 2am Central Standard Time (becoming 3am Central Daylight Time), OR during Sunday night's update jobs (11:59pm Sunday, central standard time). If you are still experiencing issues on Monday (US time), please let us know.

Comment

FWIW the US changed the DST dates and I'm not sure the rest of the world followed suit. In fact why should they?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I have also had complaints about the time being wrong for Australian users.

My server is GMT, no DST at the moment. One user said this: "I'm in Melbourne, so timezone is Eastern Australian (+10 GMT). I've got the DST option set to "automatic" but it's showing an hour earlier, so obviously the "automatic" option isn't set up correctly for at least my local timezone. Looking in the list of available timezone it shows only one for eastern Australia. That's not technically correct, technically for Eastern Australia there are three timezones. One for Queensland, one for NSW and Vic, and one for Tasmania, as all of those states/regions have different DST start and finish times, and Queensland doesn't have DST at all."

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X