WHite Screen Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHite Screen Issues

Im having MANY users report getting a white screen when they submit a thread or post. It seems to be really random and i cant find the cause.
    Ive tried all the things recommended in the VB help. It doesnt tiemout on the page or hang it goes IMMEDIATELY to the blank white page.

AS ive continued to get feed back it seems to be related to Longer messages and it being a while before posting the message. Not sure why that is.

I was able to replicate the issue. it happened in IE6 and FF after waiting over 15-20 min to post. I hope this helps.

Also I have ini_set('display_errors', true); in the config and still saw NOTHING.

ANy ideas?
    Last edited by rayge; Mon 11th Feb '08, 12:03pm.

White pages when posting are often memory limit errors. Try adding this line to your includes/config.php file:

Code:
    ini_set('memory_limit', '256M');
    Although overriding settings like this might not be allowed on your server if the "display_errors" line didn't affect anything. You might need to ask your host to change this directly in the PHP configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
      White pages when posting are often memory limit errors. Try adding this line to your includes/config.php file:

Code:
      ini_set('memory_limit', '256M');
      Although overriding settings like this might not be allowed on your server if the "display_errors" line didn't affect anything. You might need to ask your host to change this directly in the PHP configuration.
      SO it may be a server load problem? Maybe i should request a server Optimization? And if so what all do you need?
      Last edited by rayge; Sun 17th Feb '08, 9:17am.

Comment

It may be a problem with the memory_limit setting in PHP. It is not necessary to look farther than that if that line in your config file fixes the problem.

Comment

OK thats been added into the config and i'll give it a few days to see if complaints continue. thanks.

Comment

That didnt seem to help. im getting people complaining about white screens (they call it vanishing posts) and freezing / lockup issues.

any other ideas i can try?

Comment

Please see this for all the known causes of blank or 'white' pages:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/blank_pages
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Try adding this line to your includes/config.php file to see if the white page shows any specific errors:

Code:
                ini_set('display_errors', true);
                Does it show any error messages now?

If that didn't help then try adding this line to the same file to disable plugins:

Code:
                define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
                If that didn't fix it then try reuploading the original PHP files from the vBulletin zip file.

Comment

I found that the config.php file did not have the closing php tag "?>" Since i added that, i have not gotten the white screen.

Comment

That should not have affected it. The closing tag was actually removed from that file on purpose in recent versions because it isn't required. But if that fixed it then you can leave it.

Comment

hmmm. nope. it still has not fixed it i just got the white screen again. I have followed every step that i have found in this forum too. It happens even with a fresh install. I am on a dedicated server and have full access to root and have tinkered with a few settings and it still does not work It is so random and no error comes up, it is kind of hard to track down the problem. The only thing I can say is that when using FF and posting using the quick reply, that is the only time it happens and it is random. The page loads for a half a second, then goes to a white screen and the browser looks as though it is still loading the page.

Comment

Post #7 has a link to a page ith ALL the known causes of this problem. If it's not one of those, then by definition the cause is unknown. I suggest going through every step on that page again.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I did follow all the steps on that page from the very beginning and about ever 10 or so posts, i still get a white screen

Comment

Then unfortunately by definition we do have no idea what else would cause this. Assuming this is the default vB, then it has to be something on the server side, or with your Internet connection. You might have to consider hiring a server pro to troubleshoot this for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I still suspect something simple like a memory_limit problem. I can take a look if you submit a trouble ticket with your forum and server info. You can address it to me:

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X