Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable PM for certain users

Hi,

I would like to know how I can turn off PM for certain people.
    I already turned it off in their profile but they can go into their profile and activate it again. I want their PM to be disabled permanently.

And how do I prevent members abusing the PM feature? For example PM'ing every single member with SPAM? Can I restrict the number of PM's per day?

Is it also possible to activate the PM feature only after a certain number of posts?

Thanks,
    remoras

That is strictly a group permission. To completely disable PMs for a specific user requires putting that user into their own usergroup that doesn't have permission to use PMs.

You can setup a post count threshold with a promotion. See this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127880

It has instructions for restricting avatars. You just need to set the PM permission instead of avatars.

Comment

hi,

I have created a group called PM. And I've added those guys into that group.
      I have set this "Maximum Stored Messages:If you set this to 0 users from this usergroup will not be able to use private messaging" to 0 which should disable the PM feature.
      The problem is that those same guys are also member of a secondary group which does allow PM. And I can't disable PM there because that group is allowed to have PM.

My forum has one hidden forum and only senior members can view it. 5 senior members are not allowed to use PM but they're allowed to see the senior forum. Should I make a new secondary group which allows them to see the forum and not use PM?
      It's quite a lot of hassle. Why isn't it possible to disable PM on a user level?

I will look into the promotion now.
      Thanks for your answer. I think I got it, but it's not very userfriendly imo.

Cheers,
      remoras

Comment

Secondary groups can only add permissions, unless the primary group has this setting disabled in which case secondary groups do not affect permissions at all:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Allow Users to have Member Groups

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
          Secondary groups can only add permissions, unless the primary group has this setting disabled in which case secondary groups do not affect permissions at all:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Allow Users to have Member Groups
          Hi,
          Thanks again for your answer.
          I think I made it harder than needed.

What I did:
          I created a new primary group called "PM active" and one called "PM inactive". All regular members would be promoted to PM active after 30 posts and 30 days days after signup. Those members that are not allowed to use PM are manually added into the group "PM inactive". Both groups have" senior member" as additional usergroup. The senior usergroup has PM disabled. But if the primary group has PM enabled it doesn't matter that the additional group has it disabled. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I understand you correctly, I cannot disable a permission with an additional group? I can only add permissions?
          As long as all the people are in the same primary group I cannot choose "PM disabled" for certain members in that primary group by adding them into an additional group? I have to create two different primary groups (like I did) in order to disable certain features?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
          remoras

Comment

You are correct. You can't disable PMs with a secondary group because secondary groups can only add permissions.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X