No announcement yet.

Disable sendmail and still get E-mails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable sendmail and still get E-mails?

Is there any way to be able to receive E-mails when sendmail is disabled on the server? I have to turn it back-on for the E-mails to go out.
    Public Domain Content
    Amazon/Webmaster Services

Are you talking about disabling the mail server? I am not sure I understand the question.

Comment

Yep, sendmail is showing up a lot on SSH top, and I think my server's being used by some one to send out a ton of SPAM.
      Public Domain Content
      Amazon/Webmaster Services

Comment

On busy forums the subscription emails can really add up. Try enabling the mail queue to send those emails in batches:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> Use Mailqueue System

Comment

Originally posted by Nintendo View Post
          Is there any way to be able to receive E-mails when sendmail is disabled on the server? I have to turn it back-on for the E-mails to go out.
          You're going the long way about it.

If you think you are sending too many messages and think its spam - you need to look at your sendmail logs. They will show you the origination and destination of all messages being sent.

vb can send mail via php or via a configured smtp host.
          Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> SMTP Email

The php config on the server itself will dictate where php will send mail through.

So if 'use smtp' is off in vbulletin.. you must check your php configuration to see where it sends mail. It may be the local sendmail, it may be somewhere else entirely.

But if you are concerned about mail load - you need to look at your mail queue and mail logs in sendmail first to understand where its coming from.

Unless your server is hacked or you have relaying open, you shouldn't have to worry about spam messages.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X