Attachment Storage Change Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment Storage Change Question

I recently set up a new board and transferred things over from my old board. That all went well. However, I am having trouble changing the attachment settings to be saved in a file instead of the database. It seems so matter what I do, I get the same message:

We attempted to write a test file to /www.nameremoved.org/attachmentsck/board, but we were unsuccessful. Please verify that the web server has write/delete permissions for this path.

It seems no matter where I install the attachments folder, it doesn't work. It is all set to 777. Safe mode is off.

Suggestions?

BTW, I absolutely love vBulletin. I had used a free board in the past (phpBB2) & there is a night and day difference between them. I'm extremely pleased with the board and with the support here.
    Last edited by Lois215; Sun 6 Jan '08, 5:05pm.

Make sure that the storage directory is owned by the webserver user and group. You can change this with CHOWN at the command line.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Sorry- I am not quite sure what you mean. I just set the directories up via FTP. Bear with me- I am just a learn as I go along person!

No matter where I put it- above my main site, in it and even in the vBulletin directories, it gives the same message.

Comment

I am still perplexed as to what is wrong. I had to disable attachments on the board and blogs until I can figure out what I am either doing wrong or what the problem is.

Comment

Does anyone else have any suggestions, or details on how to do what Wayne Luke suggested? To create the files, I simply used an FTP program and set each folder to 777 as stated. So I don't know how to go about doing what was suggested.

Comment

Is there someone out there that can help me with this? Please???

Comment

It works if done right. Could you please start from the beginning and provide all the relevant details?
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks so much, Steve. You helped on an installation question I had and your response fixed the difficulty.

I don't want attachments stored in my database as my website host gives me less database space than other space. So having attachments kept in a file will greatly ease the load on my new vBulletin board.

I have looked all over in the manual and tried some searching here, but cannot figure out what I am doing wrong or what needs to be done so this will work.

No matter where I try to place the attachment folder, it gives the same message:
                We attempted to write a test file to /www.nameremoved.org/attachmentsck/board, but we were unsuccessful. Please verify that the web server has write/delete permissions for this path.

I tried placing it above my main site, in the site (I can disable others through .htaccess) and in my vBulletin folder. None of the options will work.

In checking here, I saw to use the 777 settings, which I did. I also saw to check if safe mode is on and it is not. I believe the site runs on a Linux server.

Wayne Luke gave a suggestion in this thread, but I have no idea how to do it. I am a learn as I go along person and am not well versed in coding and such.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I turned off the feature to members until I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Lois215 View Post
                  No matter where I try to place the attachment folder, it gives the same message:
                  Did you really write "www.yoursitename.org" in the path cuz I would guess that is the problem. I'm on a Linux server, and my path goes something like "/home/mysitename/attachments", it shouldn't have something that looks like a url in there.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Yes, I did. I thought I was supposed to. So if my site was at www.nameremoved.org, would the path name be /home/nameremoved/attachments? If so, that didn't work. Or would it be something else?

I am probably going to kick myself when I find out how simple this is to do!

Comment

Goodness.....I finally figured it out. Thanks for your help. I knew it had to be user error somewhere as this board system works quite well!

Comment

What did you end up putting as your path? I can't get mine to work either...

Safe Mode = Off

Chmod 777 my attachment directory

Chown to the correct values

My forum is at /forum and my attachment directory is /forum/_files/attachments

but when I try to upload an attachment I get "File system directory is not writable."

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X