Sudden Forum Slowness - Only on my vBulletin site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden Forum Slowness - Only on my vBulletin site

I'll try to be more specific but I'm having trouble with my vBulletin site suddenly slowing to a crawl recently. The strange thing is that it seems to be only affecting some users and not others. My other sites on the same server (that use mySQL) are very snappy. Server loads are low (< 1.0) and CPU and memory utilization are slow as well.

Has there been any report that some new browser feature in IE or something else might be causing vBulletin sites to load more slowly? Are there any known browser issues with vBulletin that I can recommend to my users?

This is very frustrating. I've had a very fast forum for over a year and made no significant changes in the last two weeks but several regular users are reporting the same slow symptoms.
    Rich

Maybe they are having connectivity issues. On Windows computers you can run this at the command prompt to reveal any slow connections:

Code:
    tracert yoursite.com
    Or maybe their computers are just being slow for some reason.

Also ask them to try visiting your site using different browsers / computers to help narrow down the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
      Maybe they are having connectivity issues. On Windows computers you can run this at the command prompt to reveal any slow connections:

Code:
      tracert yoursite.com
      Or maybe their computers are just being slow for some reason.

Also ask them to try visiting your site using different browsers / computers to help narrow down the problem.

Hi Jake,

We've got exactly the same problem on our site (3.6.9). We've narrowed it down to being IE6 and IE7 (on XP) that seems to be causing the problem. We have users that are regularly getting 10 second load times in IE and then get 2 second times in FF2. Same PC, same network, same site.

It's taken us a lot of looking at the site and the DB and the network and the HTTP headers to narrow it down but we're pretty confident it's a problem with browser type.

Could it be something to do with IE not dealing with the http header cache-control: private properly?

I thought it might be an issue with gzip but it would only happen the first time and then use local cache for what it could and then speed up. Of course it might not be a cache issue at all and it might be something in the non object content slowing it down.

Comment

Some page layouts can result in slow rendering in some browsers. Layouts with lots of nested tables are a good example. Try to reproduce it on a default style:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [Add New Style]

Create a new style with no parent. Then click that style's name in the Style Manager to view your forum with that style.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X