X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Names partially messed up!

Hello!
    I have a problem with Japanese names.
    They are totally messed up in the database when saved via vBulletin.
    However, they are partially displayed correctly on the forum. This also only refers to a few names.
    I manually edited the Japanese name via the phpMyAdmin control panel.
    It displays the correct name in the control panel, but when I reload the vBulletin page, it shows the same error as it did before.
    I therefore figure it has to do with vBulletin. As page encoding I used "uft8".
    Is that wrong? Do you suggest another encoding for Japanese names?
    selling kawaiiNation.com

Admin CP > vBulletin Options > Censorship Options > Blank character stripper
    Remove all of the current contents, and then rename your users/posts as needed.

UTF-8 takes I believe 3 bytes to store each Asian character (bottom line, more than 1 byte, don't quote me on the 3 bytes number if it is wrong), and blank character stripper will strip part of the character away when it detects false postives within the multiple bytes, and effectively berak the character.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
      Admin CP > vBulletin Options > Censorship Options > Blank character stripper
      Remove all of the current contents, and then rename your users/posts as needed.

UTF-8 takes I believe 3 bytes to store each Asian character (bottom line, more than 1 byte, don't quote me on the 3 bytes number if it is wrong), and blank character stripper will strip part of the character away when it detects false postives within the multiple bytes, and effectively berak the character.
      This actually worked! Are there any bad things that can happen without those blank char strippers?
      Anyway, thanks a lot Andy.
      selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

If you have creative users, they may attempt to register names with some of those characters to impersonate you/your team... But you can easily colorize your usernames to make it easily identifiable... So, no not really.
        Best Regards,
        Andy Huang

Comment

Working...
        X