X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user02934123123
    replied
    Originally posted by monForum View Post
    I can't quite fathom why member's knowing the name of the site administrator would be a bad thing - though there must be a reason somewhere out there...

I post from a secondary account, primarily because I reserve the 'Administrator' username for the impersonal business of over-arching forum administration / moderation, whereas for my normal interactions with the forum, I like to be a little more personalised.
    Originally posted by anthoneezy View Post
    Because the site administrator has full access to the control panel...
    I don't see how this makes any difference. What risk do you feel is posed by others knowing the admin account is logged in or on line? It doesn't make the administrator's account any more or less secure.

In any case, setting your admin account to 'Use Invisible' removes the account from the listings to all but other admins.

Leave a comment:

• anthoneezy
    replied
    Originally posted by cemartin View Post
    You, however, will see yourself listed, but there will be an asterisk next to your username. This is just to remind you that you are not currently being shown on the active users list.
    Ahh, I didn't know this. I've solved my problem then. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• cemartin
    replied
    I don't think you understand my problem...

I don't post with the admin user, but when I'm testing or browsing the forum with the admin user, my name appears in the "active users" list.

I don't want this!
    I understand the problem that you are experiencing perfectly. If you do NOT want to appear online (and visible), you can use the, "Invisible Mode". When you use this, the general memberbase will not be able to see that you are online.

You, however, will see yourself listed, but there will be an asterisk next to your username. This is just to remind you that you are not currently being shown on the active users list.

Leave a comment:

• anthoneezy
    replied
    Ah, yes, then posting with a secondary account is the best option (if you aren't already doing so).

Chris
    I don't think you understand my problem...

I don't post with the admin user, but when I'm testing or browsing the forum with the admin user, my name appears in the "active users" list.

I don't want this!

Leave a comment:

• RagnarokDensetsu
    replied
    The "Invisible Mode" option is set to "yes", but the admin user still appears in the "currently active users" list.
    Are you viewing it using an account that can see invisible users?

In a default style the username would appear with an asterisk * next to it- but only for those who are allowed to see invisible users.

Leave a comment:

• anthoneezy
    replied
    Originally posted by monForum View Post
    I can't quite fathom why member's knowing the name of the site administrator would be a bad thing - though there must be a reason somewhere out there...
    Because the site administrator has full access to the control panel...

Leave a comment:

• anthoneezy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    I very highly doubt that, but put yourself into invisable mode and the problem is solved.
    The "Invisible Mode" option is set to "yes", but the admin user still appears in the "currently active users" list.

Leave a comment:

• user02934123123
    replied

I post from a secondary account, primarily because I reserve the 'Administrator' username for the impersonal business of over-arching forum administration / moderation, whereas for my normal interactions with the forum, I like to be a little more personalised.

Leave a comment:

• cemartin
    replied
    That's exactly why I don't post with the admin user.
    Ah, yes, then posting with a secondary account is the best option (if you aren't already doing so).

Chris

Leave a comment:

• anthoneezy
    replied
    Even if you were to make yourself invisible, all of the members would still be able to see your username each and every time you make a post.

Chris
    That's exactly why I don't post with the admin user.

Leave a comment:

• XFSImperial
    replied
    Even if you were to make yourself invisible, all of the members would still be able to see your username each and every time you make a post.

Chris
    You can always create two separate accounts. One for administrative functions & the other for forum posting business. Not sure about the potential security risk, but invisible mode should do what you're looking for!

Leave a comment:

• cemartin
    replied
    Divulging the administrator's username to general users is a potential security risk.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    I very highly doubt that, but put yourself into invisable mode and the problem is solved.

Leave a comment:

• anthoneezy
    started a topic Hide administrator from "Currently Active Users" list

Hide administrator from "Currently Active Users" list

Is it possible to hide the administrator from the "Currently Active Users" list on the bottom of each forum? I was hoping this option would be available in the usergroup manager, but it's not.

Divulging the administrator's username to general users is a potential security risk.