Exceeding MySQL connections on install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exceeding MySQL connections on install

My site is hosted at Lunarpages. They decided that I was expendable and moved me to a new server at Lunarpages. This has caused an outrageous amount of problems that I won't both going into.

Now, I'm attempting to install vbulletin again. Everytime I do, I get an error that says "exceeded max MySQL connections". This is clealry an error in hosting, but I'm surprised that there are any db connections at all with the forum dead. I'm not getting that much traffic to my dead forum, but probably 1,000-2,000 per day are getting an error of some kind.

Is there a possibility that while my forum is trashed / dead that my traffic could be opening MySQL connections that aren't being closed.

No one at Lunarpages can tell me why I'm getting this many db connectiosn when the forum isn't even functional.

Brandon
    Payday Advance

That is a serrver limit, not just for your forums. I'm afraid you will need to contact your host about this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So there is nothing I can do within vbulletin to make sure it's not using MySQL resources when it isn't even working?

Brandon
      Payday Advance

Comment

No, as I said this is a server issue and limit. It looks like they moved you to an overcrowded server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm sure you didn't understand my question, because vBulletin was indeed the problem. Technically, it was my fault...sort of.

I was including my header with the php include plugin method that is floating around here on vbulletin. On the old server, using the standard http://www.domain.com/header.php worked fine.

The new server would crash. Apparently, this caused a MySQL connection to open but not close. You may debate this, but EVERYTHING magically started working without exceeding Max connections when I changed from www.whatever.com url to home/myusername/public_html/header.php I have no doubts, it would exceed MySQL connections in a matter of minutes if I were to change it back to the old url.

In the end, it was my fault for not using home/username/public_html type of pathways to begin with. I guess I had to learn the hard way that when php dudes said "NEVER use www pathways in php includes" they meant it!

It was Lunarpages fault for not telling me of this change (and a few other changes that caused huge problems).

However, the actual issue was not my server. It was a vBulletin issue. I wish you would have taken the time to read my full post instead of immediately spitting out the definition of "max mysql connections". With that said, I understand that support is a tough, monotonous gig.

All is well now.
          Payday Advance

Comment

Okay. Next time you might want to state you are running custom code. I was referring to the default vB code.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X