Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vbulletin is sending mass emails

Hi

My webhost has reported that my forum is sending aroudn 10,000 emails every hour.

I disabled everything from admin panel that could possibly send emails. They are suspecting some autoposter script is sending emails

I have not made any changes in last 4 -5 months, and suddenly having this problem

has anyone had this issue or can suggest something to stop this

Thanks

That doesn't seem likely - at least not from vB. Have you installed any add-ons?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes. I installed addon, like

Atkan RSS
      Cron based mail queue
      Un-Activated User Management
      Vb Rss News View
      vbBux / vbPlaza

What is strange is that the problem, just seems to have surfaced, without making any changes

Hosting company is threatening to disable the forum, they have already done it once

Any pointers ?... I did disable Cron based mail queue and I am checking with them if that solved the issue

THanks
      tk

Comment

I suggest removing all add-ons to see if this stops those emails. Also you host should be able to provide more info about what exacly is sending these emails.

In addition, please see this thread on how to make your vBulletin more secure:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172234
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Seems like " Cron based mail queue" plugin was the culprit. once i disabled that, emails stopped. I am waiting for webhost to verify that there is no issue now.

Comment

I am using the latest version of vb. I had uninstalled Cron based email module and "unactivated user registration" module.

It appears that my vbulletin site is sending 36000 emails per day and on shared hosting this is not going to be allowed.

I am not using any contributed modules that send out emails. I am using Atkan RSS poster which automatically posts in my threads.

my webhost thinks that sendmessage.php in the root directory is the one sending out emails.

Can i write some code around it , to limit the number of emails being sent by my site.

Comment

Working...
            X