General Forum Chaos! Ahh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Forum Chaos! Ahh!

Ok, so we've added the patch to the fourm, but we're still having lots of issues.

1. Threads are moving forums by themselves

2. If you click "new threads" the list looks odd

3. On the opening/summary page, the wrong user name is attatched to threads. Meaning it'll say the last poster is "Midoria" when it should be "Bwaybeltress106".

4. The free board we were using refused to create a copy so we could import. So we cut and paste the most popular threads to VB. Instead of the whole text, we just a whole lot of "more...more...more..." at the bottom of the post. That wasn't there before.

5. When you click on a thread or a forum, it'll say I'm the thread starter for each and everyone, and that there are no posts in any of the threads. See?

Is this related to the upgrade or have we been hacked?

The patch would not have caused any of that. What did you do exactly?

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

(4) You got the answer..
      (1) Do not know about that moving itself, but you can check in your Admin CP -> Statistics & Logs
      (2) Did not display any new threads, as I only see option for 'New Post'
      (3) Are you sure it does not have to do with your preference that you have chosen within User CP -> Edit OPtions -> Thread Display Mode.
      (5) Are you using an RSS feed for any of your forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        The patch would not have caused any of that. What did you do exactly?
        We didn't do anything. The forum was perfect (we were actually talking about how nice everything turned out), and then the next morning my co-mod and I logged on and it was a nightmare. It was before the patch, though. We thought the patch would fix it.

I will attempt everything you just said when I get my computer back (the screen is being replaced). I'm not tech savy at all, and didn't install my forum the first time, so I'm not sure how a re-install will go. I'll try it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
          (4) You got the answer..
          (5) Are you using an RSS feed for any of your forum?
          YES! Come to think of it, this started when I set up an RSS feed for one of our members.

I would delete it if it wasn't for problem #6. It often boots me out and won't let me log in for a few hours.

Comment

Please follow the suggestions in post #2.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
              Please follow the suggestions in post #2.
              Like I said in my response to you, I will try it. Or at least find someone who understands enough about this thing to help.

Does VB have a service where we could pay to have someone do this for us? Honestly, I didn't understand half of what you said...

Comment

1. Download from 'Members Area' and find under column 'License Options' this link 'Download vBulletin', then you will be sent to another page. You will then select under 'Download Options' this option 'More Download Options'. You would then make sure that vBulletin version is the most currect selection you can select from dropdown menu. You will now find on same page under 'Download Options' this option 'Download File' and select [Package - no Images]
                2. Open and or run FTP-Client
                  Most FTP client applications will handle the file transfers automatically, but if for some reason your application does not, you should make a note of the following:
                  • All text files to be transferred in ASCII mode
                    All files containing plain text from the vBulletin package should be transferred in ASCII mode.
                    Text file types you will find in vBulletin are: .html, .php, .js, .xml, .css.
                  • All non-text files to be transferred in Binary mode
                    The remaining files, which are mostly images, should be transferred to your web server in Binary mode.
                    Binary file types used in vBulletin include: .gif, .png, .jpg, .ico.

You did not specify what part of what Steve Machol instructions you did not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Midoria View Post
                  Like I said in my response to you, I will try it. Or at least find someone who understands enough about this thing to help.

Does VB have a service where we could pay to have someone do this for us? Honestly, I didn't understand half of what you said...
                  Put a request at vBulletin.org to help organize your forum better. That's where you can go for help when you can't do it yourself and beyond what Jelsoft can support.

While you're there, you might want to check out the mods and get help in getting them installed too (things to help with housekeeping chores like this). It'll make your admin life much easier.
                  "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                  is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                  ~~~
                  Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                  X