Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with editing user profile field

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Problem with editing user profile field

    I have an interesting problem for which I've searched but haven't found a solution.

    When I'm editing a user profile field of a newly added field using the User Profile Field Manager in Admin CP, the TITLE and DESCRIPTION boxes are empty. They were filled in upon creating the new field, but after saving then going back to edit, these boxes are empty.

    BTW - I'm running 3.6.8pl2
    Last edited by juggler; Tue 6th Nov '07, 5:32pm.

  • #2
    To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

    Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

    [Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

    Next, disable all plugins.

    Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

    define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

    Do you have the same problem? If so, fill out a support ticket at:

    http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

    Please include a complete description of the problem and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      What do I do with those files listed as "File not recognized as part of vBulletin" during the diagnostics test?
      Last edited by juggler; Thu 8th Nov '07, 5:09pm.

      Comment


      • #4
        Usually you can leave those alone. They may be from your add-ons, other applications you have running or files from older versions of vB.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

        Steve Machol Photography


        Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


        Comment


        • #5
          OK thanks, but I have no add-ons and these files all appear to be vB files based on their filenames. Could it be that they're files from older versions of vB that are no longer used in the new versions?

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, I said they could be from older versions of vB as well.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

            Steve Machol Photography


            Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


            Comment


            • #7
              Oh sorry, must have speed read your post Can the old vB files be safely removed? I'm assuming that they're no longer used.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, they can be removed.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                Steve Machol Photography


                Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Today I found out that this problem was due to a corrupted "phrase" table in the DB. The repair/optimise strategy didn't work, actually, the repair/optimise made it worse and totally killed the table. I had to do a DB table restore. Yes, I did submit a support ticket but after the significantly LONG LAG with the support responce I had to resolve this issue on my own. Very disappointed. I guess using the maintenance tools in vB has its faults.

                  Interestingly, I found some peculiar happenings while examining the "phrase" table that could be a bug in 3.6.8 when creating new user profile fields in admincp.

                  Comment

                  Loading...
                  Working...
                  X