Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to insert linked image

Hi,

I got two boards (vbulletin) up and running.
    I wish to add linked image to the other board (but to use thumbnail image from the destination board).

Let's say on your forum i would like to insert linked image going to my site and that image is a thumbnail from my board. Is that possible?

Yes that is possible. First you need to create an image by taking a screenshot of the destination forum and shrinking it down using a program like Photoshop. Then upload that image to your web server. Then edit the appropriate template and add HTML code to create a linked image that uses the thumbnail.

Comment

Ok this is the way when I upload the image to the server.
      But is it possible to create a link using existing image on the other board?

like [img=some_other_host_vbulletin_thumbnail]

Thanks

Comment

Yes, you just need to get the URL of the image and use it in your templates or post, depending on how / where you want to link it.

Comment

You are absolutely right, but how can I know the URL where that thumbnail resides? (it's in vbulletin and all attachments are stored in filesystem).

if I put such address: (don't get this as advertising cause it's not, i just want to know how to do that):

http://www.2-bodybuilding.com/board/...1&d=1194357611

It is not visible on the other board
          /url = somehost/ /img = the above address/ /url/

it doesn't work. and I do not know how to make it work.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Normally you would download the image from the vBulletin forum and upload it as a standalone file to your server. Then the URL is dependent on where you upload it. For example, if you upload the image to the web root then the URL would be something like:

http://www.yoursite.com/imagename.gif

Comment

so there is no possibility to get the direct address of a thumbnail posted on vbulletin? maybe there are any hacks or smth... i got really confused. I cannot explain to my clients how to do that, because they have no clue how to upload images to the webserver and later to point to the address.

Comment

You can hotlink a post attachment's thumbnail, but it's not the ideal method. You would need to make sure that guests can view the attachment, and the hotlinked server must allow remote linking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
                  You can hotlink a post attachment's thumbnail, but it's not the ideal method. You would need to make sure that guests can view the attachment, and the hotlinked server must allow remote linking.
                  That's what I want. I've turned on the option for guests to see the thumbnails.

Please provide me some help how to allow server remote linking. And how to accomplish what you've just said.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

The remote linking restriction is in your server setup. Sometimes it is in a ".htaccess" file in your web directory. Otherwise you would have to contact your web host to remove that restriction.

Comment

k,

let's say i do not have any remote linking restriction (which I actually don't think I have on that server).

How do i link to that particular thumbnail which is posted on other server (with no restriction for remote linking) at vbulletin board?

Comment

In most browsers you can right click the image to view the image location. Then you can use that location in your HTML code or IMG tag in a post.

Comment