Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely Starting Over

Here’s my situation,

I currently have vBulletin installed on one of my websites. What I want to do is get rid of those forums and transfer the license to a new domain, web host, etc. the works.

My question is how do I go about uninstalling the present version and then uploading another one to where I want it, under the same license? Is there anything I need to redownload from vBulletin? Does any specific license information change? Do I still use the software I downloaded for the first forums?

Thanks
    Engipress - Wordpress Resources and Information

Are you starting all over or do you want to move the existing forum and data?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Geez, maybe I should read the thread subject next time.

Just delete the forum files and the database. Then reinstall vB on the new domain just like you installed it the first time.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

OK, I haven't deleted it yet but when I do, I want to be prepared for everything else it would affect.

Mostly, for Google, since I already about 50 forum pages or so indexed, and I don't want those to be just dead links, does anyone know how I could go about making sure removing my current forums won't hurt my indexed content, links, etc. from the search engines?

Would I just go to the URL removal page and remove every single page, or do something with my robots.txt file first? Not really sure here.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Not sure I follow what you want but if you remove your forums and start over, then all the current links in Google will be dead.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yes, that's what I'm expecting will happen (they'll die).

What I want to do is somehow make sure deleting the forums won't hurt my standings with the search engines (by possibly redirecting the dead links to maybe my homepage or removing them from Google altogether somehow).

Comment

Sorry but I don't see how this could not affect your ranking by the search engines. After all, those links will be gone.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

OK, I think I have all those issues cleared up, now I had one more concern at this moment. I know I want to start a new forum on a different domain, but I'm not exactly sure what kind right now.

So, basically, the question I have is there a way I could test out different structures, themes, etc. before I go setting the whole thing up for everyone to see? As I already own a license, but don't have the idea quite down ATM, I could play around with the one I have for a little while on my own license, but wouldn't know where, if this is even possible.

Thanks again for the help

Comment

Yes, the license agreement allows you to set up a test board:

"If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public."

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Cool, thanks, concerning the test board, I'm assuming I'm suppose to put this "testvb" on an already existing website and host, and it's technically a "copied" version of the software I already downloaded, right?

(Just to make sure I'm not violating vbulletin's TOS, as I looked, but wasn't completely sure)

Comment

Yes, that's what you would do.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X