Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exclude forums in newpost based on usergroups

Would the code in the initial post be a basis for this:
    Basically, I want the "New Posts" link to exclude a couple forums, based on usergroup. I have a couple 'political' forums that many users want, but that can become inflammatory. Other users that never visit those forums, don't even want to see the thread titles show up in "New Posts", due to the inflammatory nature of thread titles. They don't want to get sucked into the debates.

So, what I want to do is setup dupe usergroups. For every usergroup I have, I would create a new one in this manner. "Registered Users" and "Registered Users No Political".

Then, I want to have the "New Posts" search exclude the political forums for all the "No Political" usergroups.

I already no the code for excluding forums from the "New Search" as I had to exclude a forum that get's auto filled by an RSS feed, but I am not sure how to make it conditional based on usergroups.

thanks
    BroncosForums.com - Broncos Fan Forum
    Total Broncos - Denver Broncos Blog and News

If you set Registered Users so that "Can View Content" on those forums is set to No, then they wouldn't be able to see the threads within forums in New Posts.

You can set this on the forum level at Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      If you set Registered Users so that "Can View Content" on those forums is set to No, then they wouldn't be able to see the threads within forums in New Posts.

You can set this on the forum level at Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions.
      Ok, this is much more simple than I was going. I didn't even think of that. Why use a simple approach when you can complicate it.

Ok, one other question. Is there any easy way to allow them to self-opt in. Such that they click a link, set something in their options, etc. to opt-in to the conroversial forums?

One thought I had (but I know nothing about the system), would be the paid subscrption system (can't remember what it is called), but somehow set it up for zero dollar cost. Or something like that.

Can you think of any way where an admin wouldn't have to manually change the user's group to give them permission to that forum?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator View Post

Can you think of any way where an admin wouldn't have to manually change the user's group to give them permission to that forum?

Thanks
        Access Marks, search for the user and then edit the access marks from the drop down box

Comment

Originally posted by StrongMotive View Post
          Access Marks, search for the user and then edit the access marks from the drop down box
          What I meant was a way where a user could take some option to opt in or out of viewing a specific forum.

Comment

What if you want to give those members the *option* to see the threads in that forum if they go directly to the forum? I have an RSS feed that's pulling in eBay items to a forum for special deals and offers, but I also have an Ad-Free group who I think would be offended (and probably rightly so) if they suddenly started seeing threads show up in Recent/New Posts that are thinly veiled ads.

I assume this would be a conditional in the template so that if you're a member of an additional usergroup (in our case, the Ad-Free group) it would exclude your group from seeing results from that particular forum or forums in the Recent/New Posts.

Help? TIA!

Susan and James

Comment

Just create a public joinable group where in their usercp, the user can choose to join the group or not. have your regular usergroup where they can not see the forum/topics and another usergroup they can join where they can see them and or join in on the discussions.

If it is a public usergroup they can join or not in their usercp.
              www.Copiertalk.com - Everything Copier , Printer, Fax

Comment

Working...
              X