Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

using forum login for a separate domain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omar Almukhtar
    replied
    when your registred users go to the other domain they will need to re-enter their user name and password , they can not be aotumatically logged in .because of the two databse.

I believe alot of hosting company dismiss this option because it's dangerous on their server.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I believe for security reasons browsers can not set cookies for different domains.

Leave a comment:

• thomasv
    started a topic using forum login for a separate domain?

using forum login for a separate domain?

Hi all, just wondering the feasibility of this idea:

We are creating a new site which needs a login system. I want my current forum users to be able to use their login details on my new site. Here is how I plan to do it: buy another forum license and install it on my new domain then point it at the database used by my current forum (and use a copy of my current config file). Then I will ignore the whole second forum and just use the login system, which I know how to do. I could delete all unused forum files so it won't cause database conflict with forum1. The only issue I can think of is the cookies not working across 2 domains (would it work if it was across 2 sub-domains of the same domain?). But this is minor. My users would still be able to login without re-registering for my new site.