Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Login problems.

Hi guys,

My client has two forums which are both using subdomains (forum.name.com) running on 4 servers total. Two are hosting the main forum and databases, the other two are for the subdomains.

Everything worked fine untill recently the power shutdown and both servers had their first reboot. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem since all VB options and PHP settings are the same, but for some reason the login doesn't work properly.

About the problem, when you login from the subdomains, you automaticly get logged out. So basically you log in, get to the redirection page and then you get back to where you were, without being logged in. And if you check the "Remember Me" checkbox it works fine. From the name.com/forum/ one forum works fine and the other doesn't work at all, just like the subdomain. And they're using the same settings.

I thought this was a cookie issue and I tried all different combinations in the path and the cookie domain settings, but it didn't help any. The settings have always been set to default ones. Just now I've been messing around with the settings to try to make it work, but it didn't help so I set them back to default.

Both forums are running on 3.6.7 PL1.

I hope someone can help me out here. And please let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance

Anyone?

Comment

Hard to follow that but you need to be aware that cookies cannot be shared between domains and www.domain.com is different that domain.com as far as cookies are concerned.

Therefore it is best to stick with one domain. Also you can upload the tools.php script in the 'do_not_upload' folder of the vB zip file to your Admin CP directory and run it from your browser. Use this to reset the cookie domain and path back to the defaults. And then leave your cookie domain and path at the default settings. There is no reason to change these. If you need to specify a unique cookie, use the cookie prefix setting in config.php instead.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        www.domain.com is different that domain.com as far as cookies are concerned.

This is key!
        Pay attention to the address that you are redirected to when you hit login (the "Thank you for logging in" box). Is it EXACTLY the same as the initial login page or the page you end up at still not logged in?

If the "welcome" has a WWW. but your forum home does not (check links to your site), drop www. in front of your address and try loggin in again. it'll probably work this time. If it does work, go into your Admin CP, and make sure your forum address is correct as far as the www.

-And don't forget to check your links! All http://www.forum.com/ or all http://forum.com/

Hope this helps!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X