Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I have tested this. The individual user post counts are reduced. The overall post count for the forums isn't reduced unless you update the counters.

Leave a comment:

• skeen
    replied
    Could someone please confirm? The description in Update Post Counts clearly indicates that post counts aren't reduced from pruning. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• skeen
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Pruning will remove post counts everywhere. I should help with performance although this is only one factor out of many that can affect this.
    It will? I was sure the counter would need manually updating. This is what it says for that counter:

This will recalculate all of your user's post counts based on their CURRENT posts in the database. Do not run this if you have pruned posts, manually changed post counts, or imported from another forum package and you wish to maintain your users' current counts. Your members' post counts will PROBABLY decrease so only run this if you believe you really need to! Once they decrease you can not bring them back up without restoring your database or manually editing each user. You have been warned!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Pruning will remove post counts everywhere. I should help with performance although this is only one factor out of many that can affect this.

Leave a comment:

• skeen
    started a topic Question about forum pruning

Question about forum pruning

My board has 2.5 million posts, and my host tells me it frequently causes the database to backup with queries. I assume some forum pruning will do the trick - is pruning known to increase performance?

When I prune, I understand that users post counts will remain the same unless I update the counter (which of course I won't do). But I wonder about the post count displayed on FORUMHOME, and also the thread count. Will that be effected? Which counter corresponds to those?

Thank ya.