Clarifying function of primary vs. secondary usergroups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarifying function of primary vs. secondary usergroups

As I overhaul some of our usergroup permissions, I wanted to clarify something.

Am I correct in saying that if we grant members additional privileges (enabling a feature, or changing forum permissions to enable a member's access to a restricted forum, for example) by selecting a secondary usergroup, that we can set up very restrictive groups to enable this small additional privilege? Let me use a couple of examples.

Let's say users can't change their user titles until they hit 5000 posts (which is set up in Promotions). For the "Edit User Title" group, should I be setting all other settings to "off" (or "no"), and removing all other privileges like PMs by setting them to zero? I am thinking that the primary group will provide these standard permissions, and the secondary would then
    enable the one extra feature (the ability to edit user titles). That is how it seems to work.

Ditto for forum permissions. If I allow users access to nine forums via the standard Registered usergroup, but wanted the tenth (a Marketplace area) to be restricted via post count, could I set this up as a secondary group that denies permission to ALL forum areas except for the Marketplace forum?

The reason I ask is that I occasionally have found "leaks" in other secondary usergroups we've chosen, where I've forgotten to remove, say, avatar posting privileges. I'm thinking if I revise my secondary usergroups to be more restrictive, things might work more reliably for us.

If this is confusing, maybe I can reword it. I'm just trying to clean up our usergroups, and also give my other admins a guideline as to how this all works.

The simplest way to remember things is this:
    Yes will always override No.
    Larger Allotments will override smaller allotments (e.g. Private Message Allocations).

It doesn't matter if it is a primary or secondary group, the above rules apply. There are only two exceptions to this. They are if the primary group has its "Can Have Member Groups" option set to No and if it is a Banned Group.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      The simplest way to remember things is this:
      Yes will always override No.
      Larger Allotments will override smaller allotments (e.g. Private Message Allocations).
      Thanks, Wayne: that's how I thought it would work. This should help me clean up most of the usergroups that I still have from when I "inherited" the forum a few years ago.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X