Help with setting Admin permissions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with setting Admin permissions please

Hi, I'm trying to make a superadmin so we can change the admin permissions, and it says I have to edit the config.php. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to do this. I'd be forever grateful

Thanks in advance.
    www.gottwinz.net

Still learning....

I was just going to ask the same question, will watch this thread with interest.

Comment

To do this, edit this section of config.php:

// ****** SUPER ADMINISTRATORS ******
      // The users specified below will have permission to access the administrator permissions
      // page, which controls the permissions of other administrators
      $config['SpecialUsers']['superadministrators'] = 'x';

...and replace x with your userid (not user name.)
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread, but hhow does one find config.php to place that code? Is it in the vbulletin admincp or do I have to go on to my website cpanel to make that adjustment?

Comment

It is in the vB 'includes' directory.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Go to your server cPanel. It will be in your "includes" folder. When you find config.php, right click and select edit code.

Comment

Thank you both. If I wanted to change the main admin id number to one less likely to be guessed, and also make this particular user undeletable, would that happen also in config.php, and if so, what would be the code?

Comment

There is no option to change the userid number, nor is there any reason to do so since members will be ale to see whatever userid you are using from the links in your forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  There is no option to change the userid number, nor is there any reason to do so since members will be ale to see whatever userid you are using from the links in your forum.
                  Oh, silly me. I was getting user ID mixed up with editing the IP address in .htaccess.... a bit of information overload here....

After reading the very good post on how to make forums more secure, I still need advice (code) on how to make the main admin an undeletable user in the config.php file if possible.
                  thanks

Comment

Edit this section of includes/config.php:

// ****** UNDELETABLE / UNALTERABLE USERS ******
                    // The users specified here will not be deletable or alterable from the control panel
                    by any users.
                    // To specify more than one user, separate userids with commas.
                    $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = 'x';

...with 'x' being your userid number, not user name.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Easy when you know how!
                      Kebbie, hope you didn't mind me butting in on your query, hopefully the answers will help you as much as me.

Comment

No problem, I knew what I had to do I just couldn't find it...but I did! Thank you all for the replies!
                        www.gottwinz.net

Still learning....

Comment

Working...
                        X