MySQL Backup for Dummies please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySQL Backup for Dummies please!

I started a board since April and have been doing reasonably well on the admin side considering not being overly technical. But I struggle (fear, dread) when it comes to database backups.

I have followed vb’s instruction for backups prior to performing upgrades. But from reading various posts from the forum there seems to be different schools of method and theory as to what the best method should be. Could you advice once and for all what is the most secure and fool-proof and uncomplicated way of doing it?

Also, I have very little experience on Shell or Telnet type of applications and I know very little about commands. I don’t really have the capacity to launch into full-on learning of these areas at the moment, but I want to know enough so I can start performing regular backups. Where is the starting point?

I normally do my admin on a Mac platform(though I have PC at work). Would it matter? I would appreciate any help and advice.

Originally posted by girlspeedo View Post
    I started a board since April and have been doing reasonably well on the admin side considering not being overly technical. But I struggle (fear, dread) when it comes to database backups.

I have followed vb’s instruction for backups prior to performing upgrades. But from reading various posts from the forum there seems to be different schools of method and theory as to what the best method should be. Could you advice once and for all what is the most secure and fool-proof and uncomplicated way of doing it?

Also, I have very little experience on Shell or Telnet type of applications and I know very little about commands. I don’t really have the capacity to launch into full-on learning of these areas at the moment, but I want to know enough so I can start performing regular backups. Where is the starting point?

I normally do my admin on a Mac platform(though I have PC at work). Would it matter? I would appreciate any help and advice.
    The most bullet-proof would be SSH. But next to that is phpMyAdmin.

Although the forums have the option for backing up the database, due to limitations of default php.ini settings, large databases will not have a complete backup.

So, phpMyAdmin is the best bet if yo don't wish to mess with command lines in SSH (or don't have the access to SSH).

Comment

Thanks! Would the method described on the Upgrade pages be efficient? Is there any instruction out there for automatic backup via phpMyAdmin without having to fiddle with commands?

Comment

you can do a database back up in your admin cp. You could also make a back up in your hosting cp if you have one. Contact your hosting provider if you dont know how to do it!
        Discussion Forum + Web Developement / Builders + Web Developers earn work here

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X