Fresh Start on Large Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Start on Large Forum

So my forum is growing rapidly and I want to give my users the best experience possible. Lately, I have been seeing lots of small problems and weirdness due to a move from one server to another. Anyway, I was hoping to get some insight on the nest way to accomplish my task, being the perfectionist that I am. At the moment my forums are running and working great, but all these little problems annoy me to no end, and I am so frustrated that I am willing to spend the next few days or weeks manually redoing everything that I have done so far. Here goes:

I want to start fresh with a new install of vBulletin. First thing I think I would do is install the style that I use for my boards. I then want to slowly but surely re-do all of my template mods, with more care and accuracy then I did them the first time. (I feel I am smarter now and know what to do and what not to do). After that is done, I want to install some of my basic hacks and mods, such as Automerge doubleposts. Only after all of that is finished, I would like to point this deployment of VB at my existing database and forward users to the new forum without them ever seeing a disruption in service.

So, my initial question is this, can I install VB with an empty database, do all of my styles, template mods, and hacks, and then simply change the config file to point to the existing database without a problem? Will the database be corrupted or not function properly because a new source is reading and writing to/from it?

I hope that all made sense. I have spent days and days trying to fix each individual problem that I've been having but it seems as I fix one I create two more. I am a perfectionist so I can't take it any longer and must do a fresh install. All of these small problems came about when I moved my forum. Thanks for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by CerealKiller View Post
    So, my initial question is this, can I install VB with an empty database, do all of my styles, template mods, and hacks, and then simply change the config file to point to the existing database without a problem? Will the database be corrupted or not function properly because a new source is reading and writing to/from it?
    That won't work. As soon as you point config.php back to the old database, it will be the same as before since nothing changed on that database.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Would this work with a test board? We're in the same scenario.

Can I find detailed instructions about how to start a test board somewhere?

Comment

The database is fine, it's the templates, hacks, mods and add-ons that are causing problems. So if the database is fine, and I don't want to modify it, will this work? Or are you telling me that some of my styles/template changes/mods and hacks are stored in the database?

Sorry for not being more clear, I tried my best.

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        That won't work. As soon as you point config.php back to the old database, it will be the same as before since nothing changed on that database.

Comment

Yes, styles and template changes are stored in the databae. And most likely so are any mods or hacks you've installed, exccept for those changes made directly to the vB files themselves.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So if I wanted to continue through with my plan, I would have to start with a fresh database, correct? I've tried Impex before for transferring from vb3.6 to vb3.6 with dismal results. Is there a way to use Impex to transfer only the user info, post and thread info, attachment info and forum info?

I guess the question at this point is, am I better off to continue troubleshooting the 10-15 problems that I have instead of starting anew? Thanks again for the help Steve.

Comment

You can try to use Impex for that but this is not a supported use for it. As long as you do not tocuh the original database you have nothing to lose by trying. However yyou need to realize that by using Impex all of your forum, user, thread and post IDs will change.

And importing the data you want esentially means you will have to import everything.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X