ImageMagick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ImageMagick

I'd like to use ImageMagick for my image verification...
    So, I have installed it, and set the path to the ImageMagick binaries, however, it's unable to generate a CAPTCHA from it...

I have confirmed with my host's tech support that the path to binaries is set correctly, and they recommended I contact vBulletin support.

Any suggestions?

The webserver/PHP user has to have permissions to execute the files within the ImageMagick directory as well. You also need to have exec() as an enabled function within PHP.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      The webserver/PHP user has to have permissions to execute the files within the ImageMagick directory as well. You also need to have exec() as an enabled function within PHP.
      I have checked, and the 'exec' funtion is enabled...

I contacted my host's tech support and they said "the way the webserver is setup, php should have access to do what it needs" and that they don't think that is the issue.

I should also add that I had vBulletin installed and working with ImageMagick on the same server in the past. A week or two ago I did a fresh install of vBulletin, and that's when it started failing to generate CAPTCHAs using ImageMagick.
      Last edited by Jerz; Sun 2 Dec '07, 12:30am.

Comment

Change the URL below to suit your forums and see what it comes back with:

http://www.example.com/forums/image.php?type=regcheck&i=im

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

"convert: unable to read font `Helvetica'."

Comment

You'll have to have your host make that one of the fonts available on the server. I don't know if you can change that within ImageMagick. Helvetica isn't one of the fonts that ships with vBulletin.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I've changed the configuration for ImageMagick so it doesn't look for that font anymore...

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Quick IIS 6/W2k3 Server setup for ImageMagic after its been installed:

1. Download and install Ghostscript
                2. Find file 'cmd.exe' on your /windows/system32 directory
                3. Right click it, properties, security tab, add IUSR_xxx and give [Read/Execute, Read] premissions
                4. Find folder /windows/temp/ {or your system temp folder} and add 'Network Service' and give [Read/Execute, Read, Write, List folder].

As stated above, exec() must be enabled in php.

Also, I found other postings saying that 'cmd.exe' had to be enabled in IIS but I found this not to work. As long as your IUSR_ account has access to 'cmd.exe' then it should work without enabling it in IIS as well. Do not add any parts of the ImageMagick dll's or executable to IIS.

I'm not sure how secure all this is because the IUSR_ account now has access to 'cmd.exe' which can potentially create some kind of breach if there is a way to run commands via some errent script. I think that's how the old 'Code Red' worm worked it's way into IIS servers because IIS used to allow commands via http requests. That has since been patched up so the possible only way would be though a bad PHP script. Will keep an eye out for any security issues popping up so do the above AT YOUR OWN RISK.
                Last edited by Nestor; Mon 13 Aug '07, 5:10am.

Comment

Thanks for this! This is VERY helpful in troubleshooting

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  Change the URL below to suit your forums and see what it comes back with:

http://www.example.com/forums/image.php?type=regcheck&i=im

Comment

To get ImageMagick to work for me, I had remove spaces from the path.

This does not work......
                    C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.3.0-Q8

But this does.....
                    C:\Progra~1\ImageMagick-6.3.0-Q8

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X