Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use Gmail for SMTP?

Is anyone else doing this?

I've put in the settings and sent emails. But they don't come through.

Is there a log file or a way to see errors fro vBulletin during this process?

I'm trying to troubleshoot it but I don't see any problems or errors.

thanks!
    PowWows.com

I don't know how to set up Google SMTP, but you can set up vB to log all emails to a file here:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Error Handling & Logging -> Log sent eMails to a File
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      I don't know how to set up Google SMTP, but you can set up vB to log all emails to a file here:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Error Handling & Logging -> Log sent eMails to a File
      Thanks.

In the error log I see:
      Failed: Unable to connect to SMTP server

Might be a problem with my gmail. I'm using Google Apps. I'll keep trying things.

Anyone else got this working??
      PowWows.com

Comment

I've now tried it with a regular gmail account and I still get the same message.

Any other ideas?
        PowWows.com

Comment

You have to contact Google about this.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks
            PowWows.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
              You have to contact Google about this.
              They just replied! They say they don't support making vBulletin work, to ask you guys!

So anyone else tried this?
              PowWows.com

Comment

Essentially this has nothing to do with vB. You are trying to use an outside SMTP server. You have to enter the correct info for that server, your server most allow access to the server, and you must have permissions to use that SMTP server. If all of those conditions exist, then it will work. If not, then it won't.

So either you do not have Gmail's permission to use their SMTP server, your hosr is blocking this acces or you are using the wrong info. Either way this is something you will need to work out with them. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X