Upgrading vB w/ Mac FTP Client and Transit Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading vB w/ Mac FTP Client and Transit Issue

I've been a Mac user for about 5 months now, and just learned something about the OS that I never knew... When you drop a folder on top of another, and tell it to "replace" it, the files in the target folder that did not exist in the source folder get deleted. You literally replace the entire contents of the folder.

I just learned that the same thing happens with Transmit, the FTP client. So I have folderA on my computer and folderA on the server.

Local folderA contains 3 sub-folders:

folder1
    folder2
    folder3

Remote folderA contains 5 sub-folders:

folder1
    folder2
    folder3
    folder4
    folder5

When I upload local folderA to the server, and select "replace" (with "apply to all") checked, it will delete folder4 and folder5 on the server because they aren't on the local machine.

Obviously this could create problems when upgrading to a new version of vBulletin. For example, if you have the local folder structure /images/avatars/ that is empty, when you upload it, you'll end up with an empty remote version of /images/avatars/.

A lot of stuff (custom themes) could end up getting deleted because of this. I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings of vBulletin to know all the folders/files that get created/updated by vBulletin, vs. the ones I actually upload myself.

How do y'all Mac users deal with this?
    Last edited by Scott Spain; Mon 30 Jul '07, 7:56am.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting vBulletin Support.

I use Transmit myself. I have both my QUEUE preference and the Main Transmit preference set to:

When uploading : Merge the folder, overwrite (replace) the file if it exists.

This way you keep everything in the folder, but if the file exists it will replace it.

All the best,

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X