contact form spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contact form spam

Is there a way to keep the contact form from being spammed? I recieved 267 emails just now from a spambot. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Car Chops & Discussion
    NerdoPlex / My Nerdy Den of Design

I too would like to know how to solve this problem. I have had the board active for over a year with vBulletin, and five years before with another message program. I would get a few pices of spam a day. Now, suddenly, I get over 500 pieces of spam through the contact form a day.

The spam e-mails are in the form:

The following message was sent to you via the Discussion Forum Contact Us form by 0zN8Cr4W.

--------------------------------

Jh8lZ3S2AzSV0CiquDfG site map <a href=http://tyghgfgf.110mb.com/site-map.htm>site map</a> Jh8lZ3S2AzSV0CiquDfG

--------------------------------

Referring Page: index.php
    IP Address: 64.20.45.170
    User Name: Unregistered
    User ID: 0

Comment

thats the exact type of spam I get.
      Car Chops & Discussion
      NerdoPlex / My Nerdy Den of Design

Comment

I got this too recently...

Is that some kinda vulnerability in the script?

Comment

Do you have image verification on for contact us?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            Thanks. I didn't know that there is a image verification feature for the contact form. Now i have it set to on and will see if i still get any more spam.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
              Where is this? I didn't see it in the options.

Comment

vBulletin Options > Site Name / URL / Contact Details > Allow Unregistered Users to use 'Contact Us'

Comment

Thank you. That solved the problem. I wonder what took the spambots so long to find my site.

Comment

I am having the same problem too. I just turned on image verification for the contact form, but it doesn't show up on the form....not sure what I'm missing.

I guess I should add that image verification does work correctly on my registration page.
                    Last edited by MotoUp; Fri 3 Aug '07, 9:35am.

Comment

I just send the contact form to a gmail account. Very rarely will one actually get through to me.

Comment

If image verification does not work in registration or contact us then it's is probably not correctly set up on your server. That's why they include this sentence:

"If you do not see an image below, then please verify that your image processing settings are correct in Image Settings."

For most people, this is something they would need to check with their host, unless they have a self-managed server.

Regards,
                        Slappy

Comment

That's the crazy thing. Image verification is working for me on the registration page using Image Magick. I also have it enabled on the contact us page, but the whole image verification box doesn't even show up. It's not just the image that doesn't show up. Does that make sense?

Comment

Have you followed the instructions for "Contact Us Link" in the box above the "Allow Unregistered Users to use 'Contact Us'" box??

"The last option (Yes, but Verify Image) only applies if you specify "sendmessage.php" in the previous option. It will cause an image to be displayed that the user will have to enter in order to prove that an automated process is not sending the feedback. If you do not see an image below, then please verify that your image processing settings are correct in Image Settings."

If you do not have a box with a red x in it "at all" then there may be something wrong with one of your uploaded files for vBulletin itself. If you have access to your server, I would look in your /forum folder, and particularily in the /forum/admincp folder to see whether all the files have the same date. You might also run the suspect file version option.

But if the image appears in one place in the options, but not in another, that suggests there is something wrong with your files, themselves. At the very least the "empty" box with the red "x" should be there.

Regards,
                            Slappy

Comment

The image actually shows in both places. I'll check dates of the files. I followed all the other steps

Comment

Working...
                              X