Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Text area has shrunk as smilies take over!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text area has shrunk as smilies take over!!

Hi

Since upgrading to 3.6.8, I've been experiencing difficulty with the size of the text editor on all my sites. The text box has become far too small whilst the smilies seem to have expanded across the area.

I've read the release announcement and noted this comment:

editor_toolbar_on
    Minor cosmetic changes to allow a more flexible text editor size. (Smilies might overflow if you don't do this, though.)
    I've checked and re-checked my templates and given I have no modifications on my sites, cannot work out why this is occurring. My templates are up to date and in line with the 3.6.8 release.

What am I missing here? What should I be doing to be able to keep smilies whilst not having just a strip of a text box?

Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then change to this style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
    `
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Same problem
      tried, but still persist
      Last edited by lood2; Fri 27th Jul '07, 4:21am.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then change to this style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
        `
        I have a similar problem and I created a completely new style (without a parent) and still have the below issues.

After upgrading to 3.6.8, the text areas are far too narrow because empty space is eating up what was previously used for the text width in previous versions of vB (particularly on the new PM textbox, as you can see from the attachment.)

Also, the scrollbar in the quick reply now "flickers" when text is entered between regular width and half its normal size, as the second image indicates. The textbox itself does not resize - just the vertical scroll bar. I read about the changes to the editor in this new version, but are each of these things "normal" in 3.6.8, and if so, how do I revert them to how they were previously? If not, what could I have done wrong to cause this? Thank you.
        Attached Files

Comment

Please start your own thread with all the relevant details.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            `
            Hi Steve. Thanks for the suggestion. I've created a new style and followed your instructions, but this has not resolved the problem. For the moment I'm having to remove all smilies from the text area in order to have things functioning - any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

I had the same issue, I re-uploaded the files again and it was fine

Comment

I am having the same problem too.
                Is this a glitch in the smilies box or the text area?

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger375 View Post
                  I had the same issue, I re-uploaded the files again and it was fine
                  Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that on one of my forums but it's made no difference. I'm having to keep the smilies turned off for the moment which is a real shame.

Comment

If you have installed any Plugins or Products, first disable these to see if you still have this problem.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

If you still have this problem with plugins disabled, check the includes/xml directory and make sure only the original vB files are in there and none from any add-ons. Then if you still have a problem and have not installed any hacks (which includes portals), fill out a support ticket at:

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Please include a complete description of the problem and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks Steve. I have no plug ins at all, so will fill out a support ticket. I've turned the smilies back on, on each of my sites, so that the problem can be seen.

I appreciate your help enormously! Thank you!

Comment

If you're having problems you have to revert all your editor templates as listed in the announcement.

announcement_edit
                        Minor cosmetic changes to allow a more flexible text editor size.

calendar_edit

contactus
                        Changed error message cell to be alt1 instead of alt2 for consistency.

editor_toolbar_off

editor_toolbar_on
                        • Minor cosmetic changes to allow a more flexible text editor size. (Smilies might overflow if you don't do this, though.)
                        • Changed image alt tag values for indent/outdent in RTL languages. See bug #22513.
                        editpost

modifysignature
                        • Changed the signature permission matrix display to handle this issue.
                        • Minor cosmetic changes to allow a more flexible text editor size.
                        newreply

newreply_reviewbit
                        Added the post's title.

newthread

pm_newpm

showthread_quickreply

userinfraction

usernote_note
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Wayne, without any modifications on my sites, aren't these templates upgraded automatically?

I've now opened a ticket as suggested, so don't want to duplicate and confuse issues - but am wondering what more I should do other than use the upgrade script?

Comment

Hi,

I've tried every single one of the suggestions mentioned in this thread, and nothing has worked, so I will open a ticket as you suggested. Thank you.

Comment

First of all, thanks to Wayne for his help via the support ticket.

He gave me ideas having checked one of my forums which led me to other solutions.

What I've done (not suggested by any vB staff) to resolve this issue is to increase the size of the Form Width in the Style Vars of each of my styles. This has enabled me to have a larger text box and keep the smilies to the right. The page stretches, but at least I've been able to keep a proper sized text box and the number of smilies I want showing. I shall be playing around more with the size of this, but right now have a working system again.

I don't know if this will help others, but thought I'd post this up in case anyone else wants to try it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X