Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSS feed with *all* active threads in a forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSS feed with *all* active threads in a forum?

Is there a way to produce an RSS feed that displays all threads with recent posts (obeying the cut-off time) in selected thread(s)? The default setting (using external.php) seems to be to display only the newly added threads, but on forums with heavy thread reuse few threads show up in the default RSS feed even though there are lots of new posts in the old threads.
    Come to visit My Galagzee!

There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Just like it makes more sense for the search function's "Search Titles Only" to search Thread Titles only, it would make more sense to display active threads with RSS by default, not just the new threads.

Perhaps it depends on the volume of a board and the way it's used, but very often the message titles within a long-lasting thread are not very meaningful to search when searching the titles while the users frequently look up an older thread to post into if the new subject matter matches an existing thread, hence the "thread titles only" search is important.

Hmm... perhaps threads weren't meant to be used over a long period of time as both the titles search and RSS listings suggest to use shorter-lived threads.

Comment

A follow-up question

Since adding "&lastpost=1" parameter to the URL string (e.g. http://viestit.etusivu.net/external.php?type=RSS2&lastpost=1) produces the functionality I was looking for, here's a follow-up question for those in the know ...

Where in the code is the URL produced that is opened when a user clicks on the RSS icon on the address bar (see the attached image for clarification)? I'm asking because I want to add the "&lastpost=1" by default to that generated URL.
        Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X