Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving a very small database between servers - simplest way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a very small database between servers - simplest way?

I have backed up all tables to my local PC, and the (single) file is just 14MB, so I guess all the 'large database/reliability' issues are not relevant for me.
    The file that I create is a '.sql' file. But the restore section of the manual refers to restoring the XML file.
    I guess my procedure starts with re-installing vBulletin itself on the new server. But then what? How do I get my SQL file to populate the tables? Can anyone give me a blow-by-blow idiot's guide?
    I really don't want to use other methods if they are not necessary for this tiny installation.
    Thanks in anticipation.

14 mb usually works just fine. dump the .sql from the admincp on the server, view it and see if the last line is ###db dump complete### and if so, then go into phpmyadmin on your localhost and import it into a new db. if the phpmyadmin doesn't allow 14mb, then just the mysql command to import it.

http://www.vbulletin.com/go/restore

Comment

Still stuck! Please help ...

Floris,

Thanks for reply, but I'm still stuck. I have created an empty database via my server's MySQL settings panel, and can see it in phpMyAdmin. In phpMyAdmin itself I can't create another database ("Create new database (X) no privileges"), though I have logged on with Admin privileges (but I guess I don't need to if it has already been created). But, in phpMyAdmin, I do not have an Import option, just Create new database, Show processes, Storage Engines, Database, Export and Log out. So how do I get my 'vbulletinXXX.sql' backup file from my PC to populate the tables in the database on the server? Does it go as a file to the server first (in an arbitrary folder), and then moved/imported to the database.

I'm so near and yet so far ... help much appreciated.

Comment

Ditto..

'Not at all meaning to hijack your thread, but I have the EXACT same problem. I have a great control panel on the site and it sounds like I have the same setup re SQL. I uploaded my files last night and created an empty database in order to just do an install, which I have not done yet, but I've already received 2 database errors at the address I placed in config.php.
        NOTE: DOES THE VARIABLE (force empty sql mode) IN CONFIG.PHP NEED TO BE SET TO "TRUE" ?? MySQL 5.0.24-standard
        ( SELECT *
        FROM datastore
        WHERE title IN ('','options','bitfields','attachmentcache','forumcache','usergroupcache','stylecache','la nguagecache','products','pluginlist','cron','profilefield','userstats','birthdaycache','ma xloggedin','iconcache','eventcache','mailqueue');

MySQL Error : Table 'customne_family.datastore' doesn't exist).

Right now we have a small phpbb 2.x board which I backed up last night (data and structure) and I have no ideal how to import it into my existing database, if indeed it's a valid database. [phpbb database is almost 16mb].
        I realize that most of these operations are not that difficult, but to someone completely new to vBulletin and SQL, it's not that straightforward. I was able to do a test install on another site I have, but the database had already been created with a user and password. There was a database already created on this site too, but I could never find the username and password for it (maybe I had to create them ?).
        Good luck to you, and hang in there. If I can do it once, I can do it again...; I think I just need a shove in the right direction.
        BTW, MySQL 5.0.24-standard
        PHP 5.2.1.

Database Status:
        Current Databases:
        customne_family

Users in family
        customne_jl3 (Privileges: ALL PRIVILEGES)

Connection Strings
        Perl $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:customne_family:localhost","customne_jl3","<PASSWORD HERE>");
        PHP $dbh=mysql_connect ("localhost", "customne_jl3", "<PASSWORD HERE>") or die ('I cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());
        mysql_select_db ("customne_family");
        JDBC (may not be available)

<%@ page import="java.sql.*" %>
        Connection connection = null;
        Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver").newInstance();
        connection = DriverManager.getConnection(
        "jdbc:mysql://localhost/customne_family?user=customne_jl3&password=<PASSWORD HERE>");
        Last edited by G00SE9; Fri 6 Jul '07, 8:05am.

Comment

Please start your own support ticket or thread please. If not only to avoid confusion.

Comment

Support ??!!

You know mam, if anyone were ever there to answer support calls, I wouldn't have to be posting a thing !!
            I PAID for one month of support exactly for this very reason; help in situations exactly like this one. Why is no one ever there, and I'm told to leave a phone message ? That's not right to sell a product and supposedly the support for it and then vanish !
            I've had no sleep last night, a long day with my mom at the hospital, and I'd like exactly what I paid for. Why don't you write a post or ticket for me ?
            Regardless, as stated, it's not right or honest to sell "support" and then tell those who attempt to use it to make a post, or leave a message.

Comment

Apologies that there's a reason for being unable to take your call when you've paid for a support contract. I have forwarded your complaint to our support manager for internal review.

Your situation however is different from the thread starter and it is confusing to answer to two different situations. In your situation you could go to http://www.vBulletin-Fans.com/config and generate an install config.php file without having to worry much about the settings. Once created put it on your server and make sure all the vBulletin files are there. Run the install.php file from the browser.

I strongly recommend to install vBulletin in its own database, away from the one phpBB is using.

Once vB is installed, install impex on top of it and then you can import your phpBb data.

http://www.vBulletin.com/docs/html/ has our installation instructions and our impex instructions.

Comment

Floris,

Hope you will be able to come back to me on my last posting. I'm just "this far" from giving our users back their Forum!

Looking at another thread, I got the feeliing that an option might be to stick my .sql file on the server, and ask the hosting company to import it to my (empty) databse for me (if they are willing). Is this usual? Surely I can import it myself - with a little help from you!

Thanks in anticipation ...

Comment

Yes , that is a solution. Put the .sql there and ask the host to import it for you. I've done this with my own shared hosting provide a few times too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X