Avatars & Attachments not displayed after upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avatars & Attachments not displayed after upgrade

I recently upgraded my forum from vB 3.0.3 to vB 3.6.7. After the upgrade, a significant percentage of my user's custom avatar photos, profile photos, and photos which were attached to posts are no longer showing up. Instead of the photo, I get a box with a red x, and in the case of avatars I see "(username's) avatar" in text. Not all of the photos are missing, but it's a significant percentage (at least half) - it seems to be affecting the older photos the most.

I have repeatedly repaired/optimized all of the site's tables (especially avatar, customavatar, attachment, etc.), but it hasn't done any good. I tried transferring my attachments to disk just in case the large table was causing issues, but it didn't change anything.

I am using very minimal template changes on my site, and trying to revert them back to vB 3.6.7 defaults did not improve the situation. Per Steve Machol's suggestion in another thread I made a new style with no parent, but the graphics are still not displaying properly when using that style.

As per your other post, upgrading correctly will not affect this.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Performed recommended procedures - diagnostics are clear, plug-ins temporarily disabled - no change in symptoms.

Avatars, Profile Pictures, or Attachments which have been posted since the ugprade are working fine, but anything that was in the system before the upgrade shows as a red X.

Comment

Did you move servers or backup and restore the database? That is the only way I know that could happen.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          Did you move servers or backup and restore the database? That is the only way I know that could happen.
          No, this was an upgrade in place.

It is a VPS hosting plan, not sure if that makes any difference (doesn't sound like it should since everything else works).

I can see all the entires in the customavatar and customprofilepic tables, the only thing that looks different between the old and new entries is the fact that the old ones show width/height as 0 - all the other fields appear to have the same format/content as the newer ones that are working.

The only mods my old site (vb 3.0.3) had were FlashChat, TimeSlip Database, and vBGarage. The only new mods on the site are FlashChat & Timeslip Database for vB 3.6.

I decided to purge the 'broken' avatar and profile entries, this way people won't see the red X's all over the place and can upload new graphics at their own convenience. However, I would really like to recover the attachments - this is an automotive site and I there is thousands of photos that people are complaining they can't see anymore.

Comment

Make sure your postbit or postbit_legacy uses the latest code to display the avatar, old 3.0 templates won't work on 3.6

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              Make sure your postbit or postbit_legacy uses the latest code to display the avatar, old 3.0 templates won't work on 3.6
              All templates were reverted to 3.6.7 base levels during the upgrade, I did not carry anything over from the previous system.

Comment

Same thing just happened to me. I ran an upgrade and all the avatars seem to have vanished. Haven't checked for attachments. Guess I'll have to go check that. This is so weird.

Comment

Are you storing them in the file system rather than the database? If so, perhaps you accidentally deleted those folders when you upgraded?
                  <Onimua> Congrats Chroder
                  <Onimua> You're a daddy.
                  <Chroder> eh
                  <Onimua> :)
                  <Chroder> uh oh

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X