Welcome announcement vanished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome announcement vanished

I'm a newbie here so forgive me if this is dumb...

I've just done a complete reinstall of VB367 and the welcome announcement has gone. You know the 'welcome to the VBulletin community etc' banner.

How can I get this back and is there any way of editing it?

This is almost certainly a problem with a customized template. Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then change to this style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

If you do, empty your browser cache, close all browser windows and try again.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Cracked it thanks Steve. Apparently it's not visible when I'm logged in as Admin - once I've logged out it comes back.

Is it possible to edit this message and the 'welcome banner'?

Comment

I'm not aware of a 'welcome banner' in vB, but all language is in Phrases. Do a 'Search in Phrases' for the specific language you are looking for, then edit the appropriate Phrase.

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Search in Phrases

Note: To edit a phrase, place the new phrase in the available language text boxes.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The welcome message is only shown to guests. If you want to change this then you will need to remove the conditional around it in the forumhome template.
          Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Perhaps he is referring to the "banner" at the top of the Forums when one visits without being logged in or as a guest as a "Welcome Banner."

It reads:

"Welcome to the vBulletin Community Forum.
            If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below."

Perhaps Tacitus just wants to change some of the language content, rather than removing it???? His request is not clear on what he wants to do.

Regards,
            Slappy

Comment

Originally posted by slappy View Post
              Perhaps he is referring to the "banner" at the top of the Forums when one visits without being logged in or as a guest as a "Welcome Banner."

It reads:

"Welcome to the vBulletin Community Forum.
              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. ..........."

Perhaps Tacitus just wants to change some of the language content, rather than removing it???? His request is not clear on what he wants to do.

Regards,
              Yes Slappy you've got it. Sorry for the vague description. What I'm after is altering some of the wording content regarding registration. It will be an academic forum with restricted membership so the wording needs to reflect this.

Thanks to all for the help I've received so far. Like I said I'm a newbie to this game

Comment

Tacitus:

To change the Welcome Message you need to Edit the phrase's that display the text.

There are two ways you could change the first phrase. If you are satisfied with "Welcome to the (Your Forum Name)" you just set your "Forum Name" in the vBulletin Options -> Site Name/ URL/ contact Details and it will automatically identify your Forum Name in the "Welcome to the (your forum name) message.

If you want to change this first part of that phrase in some other way, you need to go to:

AdminCP > Language & Phrases > Phrase Manager > Search for Phrases

The first phrase you want to search for is: welcome_to_the_x

which includes the "_" connectors to the words. You can change the phrase however you want it to read, but I believe if you manually put your Forum Name in there AND identify your forum in the vBulletin Options, I suspect it will display it twice. Haven't tried it though.

To find the second phrase, put the following in the "Search Box:"

If this is your first visit, be sure to check

This will get you to the "first_visit_message" and you can hit the Edit button and then the "Copy Default Text" button to copy the original text into the edit box and then you can change it to read whatever you want and then hit Save.

Your done!

Regards,
                Slappy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X