Large number of vB forums (10,000+)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large number of vB forums (10,000+)

I am developing a site with vB where large numbers of forums are created on the fly by users.

I have read some concerns about that recently , should I be worried? Any tips as to how to approach that.

Note that I already ran into some issues with forumcache not being refreshed (not fixed yet) as I insert new forums directly into the DB from another application.
    Last edited by regli; Mon 28 May '07, 9:50am.

That most likely won't work, or you'll need to have a real big hardware backend.

The problem is that the forumcache caches data about each forum, and this is all loaded on each page load.

The biggest board we've seen had about 3000 forums as far as I know.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

This seems a very obvious flaw in the design. Shouldn't it really buffer just the most frequently used forums in the cache?

Are there any plans to fix this in the next few releases?

Comment

Most of our customers come nowhere near that amount of forums, so it's not a big issue in most cases.

A different method that doesn't offer these restrictions will most likely be used in vBulletin 4.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by regli View Post
          This seems a very obvious flaw in the design. Shouldn't it really buffer just the most frequently used forums in the cache?

Are there any plans to fix this in the next few releases?
          Yes - if the design was to cater with 10,000+ forums - but I don't think vB was designed with that in mind... so not a flaw in the design I'd say. Just a specific (and unusual) requirement of yours that's not part of the present product development or functionality/design map of vB.

Fix what...? your requirement...? I would think that Jelsoft might do this if a significant percentage of their customer base were demanding a forum app able to cope with this number of forum categories, but I don't think this is the case. You might need to do some mods yourself.

Good luck.
          John

Comment

vB is designed for big sites, and vB 2.x branch has no datastore and has more luck running 10k+ forums. They just need the hardware as any big site to be able to power it. vB3 unfortunately turned out to have a bigger problem with this. But I remember Kier posting that this should be addressed in vb4.

Many of our customers who desire to build a huge community decide to split up their major categories into new boards, and integrate the various sites with eachother via a plugin / api bridge solution.

Comment

Do you have any recommendations as to which plugins handle consistent signon and profiles across many boards?

Also are there any ideas as to when V4 will be on the plate?

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

No sorry, I've never been too happy with the results I found on vBorg (up until version 3.5 that is) so we wrote our own for vBFans. But I do believe vBorg now has a ldap plugin which can probably help you out a lot and it sounds like the solution you're looking for. I can't fully recommend this addon, because I have no experience with it. Hopefully vb4 supports ldap auth bridge

Comment

Wouldn't using memcached servers solve a lot of the cache problems?
                  test

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X