No announcement yet.

Is there an official backup procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an official backup procedure?

Aologies for the title, I'll explain a little better...

I use mysqldumper to backup the database nightly, no problems there, it works well. It's everything else that scares me. Since last September when I first installed VBulletin I must have made some sort of change or tweak every day, whether it's a forum permissions change, a style tweak or a new mod etc. If I lost everything and had to reinstall from scratch then it would take me literally a month to set the forum up as it was before, so is there anything I can do to make sure all settings etc are backed up for a not so difficult reconfiguration after re-installing?

A file backup each time you have made file changes.

A database backup as often you feel is needed to not loose too much data in the case of problems.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Thanks Marco, is there a sticky or reccomended procedure regarding this sort of thing anywhere? I did have a look before I posted but found nothing specific.

Comment

Here are instructions on backing up your database: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...atabase_backup
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/go/backup

http://www.vbulletin.com/go/restore

I recommend to get shell access to your ISP and make a backup through there. vBulletin's .zip file also has a folder called "do_not_upload/" in which is a vb_backup.sh shell file which can be used in crontab to run scheduled hourly, or daily to back up the database. Once the .sql dump is created I recommend to compress it to a zip file and download it with FTP to your hard drive.

I recommend to use either tar.gz for the public_html/ directory to back up the files, or simply ftp down the files.

Comment

Again, thanks for the info chaps.

Final question. When you talk "file backup", are you simply talking about FTPing the site and backing up "everything", or are you talking about some mysterious SQL command that is going right over my head? File backup? Please clarify.

Many thanks

Comment

Yes a backup of your files would be done by FTP'ing them to a safe location or create a backup on the system itself for your files.
              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

With a file backup we refer to backing up the files that are from vBulletin.

vBulletin works 2 ways, 1 are the php file for listening to the end user and giving a result, and 2 is the database where the data of the forum is stored in. To operate correctly you have to back up both and move / restore them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X