Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same here, after upgrading to 3.6.6...

Comment

On your 2nd screenshot it means that for vbulletin to perform a successful search your search terms have to contain more than 4 characters, the word ipb only has 3, so that's not a bug.

Don't know what you are getting at with the 1st screenshot? Did you press the go button at the side?

Comment

but i've written it wityh convert

Comment

i think it should ignore the word under the minimum length if there is another word more than minimum lenght in the search criteria. Didn't it before 3.6.6? i've never seen that before upgrade. So it seems a bug for me.

Comment

I am facing a similar problem. I have the fulltext search enabled, meaning that the option Search Index Minimum Word Length should affect:

When using the Fulltext search, this option limits the size of words that may be searched for. Smaller words take longer to search for as they are more common. MySQL Fulltext has its own minimum word length as well that must be changed at the server level.
            ...but it doesn't. It limits the size of the minimum word length to be searched for:

The search term you specified (my) is under the minimum word length (32) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
            It was set to "32" before the patch, now users can't search for simple words like "briefcase" anymore. I had to change the value to '3'.

Comment

i think this is a bug

Comment

Originally posted by apaydin2148 View Post
                i think this is a bug
                How is it a bug that it tells you that you can't search for something due to restrictions placed by the administrator? It's better than having someone give a query with one long word and a bunch of short ones, only to end up receiving completely irrelevant results because the small words were discarded.

Originally posted by caka View Post
                i think it should ignore the word under the minimum length if there is another word more than minimum lenght in the search criteria. Didn't it before 3.6.6? i've never seen that before upgrade. So it seems a bug for me.
                Please don't type all in bold.

As to ignoring the limit, what good would that do? That limit determines what words are indexed. If the limit is 4 and you search for 3-letter words then you're not going to get any results for those words. As part of a larger query string it would be like you didn't type them at all.
                Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
                  As to ignoring the limit, what good would that do?
                  You need to step back and look at it from a users perspective. This is one of many little annoyances in vBulletin that frustrates members and visitors. They don't care what value the administrator has put in the admin panel. They just want to see some results that are relevant to whatever they typed in the search box.

The following is a very common sequence of events:
                  1. User types phrase in the search box such as: non intuitive search engine
                  2. The following error is returned:
                    The search term you specified (non) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
                  3. User removes the offending word and tries again
                  4. The following error is displayed:
                    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between searches. Please try again in 7 seconds.
                  It's at this point 50% of users give up and find another site.
                  http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

Don't put any restrictions on how often someone can search. I keep my sites at 5 seconds just so that they can't open a bunch of windows and search in parallel.

Comment

Don't put any restrictions on how often someone can search. I keep my sites at 5 seconds just so that they can't open a bunch of windows and search in parallel.
                      I don't have any limits. I use Sphinx and have 2 letter abbreviation searches returning in under 1 second with 1 letter words and 'stop words' gracefully ignored.

The point is, the default vBulletin search should ignore words that fall below the minimum length, just as it does with the stop words. Additionally, when the results are displayed, there should be an accompanying message advising the user which words were ignored.

Comment

I still disagree. The message returned saves resources. If someone searched for a phrase and one or more of the words were ignored then the results may be completely irrelevant.

I would agree that there is room for improvement, perhaps by not having the time restriction on a second search when the first one didn't actually occur, or perhaps by modifying the returned message, but I strongly disagree with the opinion that the search should proceed anyway.

Comment

I still disagree. The message returned saves resources.
                          That's not the users problem. They just want their search results after one click.
                          If someone searched for a phrase and one or more of the words were ignored then the results may be completely irrelevant.
                          Hence the reason for the accompanying warning with the search results.

I would agree that there is room for improvement, perhaps by not having the time restriction on a second search when the first one didn't actually occur,...
                          At least we agree on that one.

Comment

i think my opinion was understanded wrong there. Let me retry,

User search for "Something like A sentence" . It will return an error about minimum word lenght. If user searched "Something like sentence", it wouldn't return error. I don't suggest it to return a result if user search only "A". That would use too much resource i know. But what i suggest won't use more resource i think. And i don't think it is too hard to code that makes;

1. If search criteria has both words long than minimum lenght and under the minimum lenght, that ignores the word under minimum lenght and shows results for the word long than minimum lenght.

2. If search criteria has only word(s) under minimum lenght, it gives error page.

Else, nothing

It should work like this i think. This won't use more resource than now. And i think it would use less, coz users search twice when they get error. In my opinion, they would use search once, and it would make the use of resource down a little.

Comment

This just happened to me now here. It's more logical that if I searched for just " try " I'd get the message about having to be longer but if I searched " try harder " then try shouldn't be counted as 1 word but as 9 letters all together. VB has really got to do something about this.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X